Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!

• Thread starter quantumdude
  • Start date
In summary, the author found some math symbols and showed us how to use them. They also talked about how to get the letters for the "chi" symbol in a different font.
quantumdude
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Lookee what I found!

If you use the tag (without spaces of course):

[ font=symbol ](insert letter)[ /font ]

you can get math symbols to appear. I haven't tried them all yet, but here are a few:

[ font=symbol ]p[ /font ] --> p
[ font=symbol ]g[ /font ] --> g
[ font=symbol ]z[ /font ] --> z

Physics news on Phys.org
OK, here's what we have:

A -->A
a -->a
B -->B
b -->b
C -->C
c -->c
D -->D
d -->d
E -->E
e -->e
F -->F
f -->f
G -->G
g -->g
H -->H
h -->h
I -->I
i -->i
J -->J
j -->j
K -->K
k -->k
L -->L
l -->l
M -->M
m -->m
N -->N
n -->n
O -->O
o -->o
P -->P
p -->p
Q -->Q
q -->q
R -->R
r -->r
S -->S
s -->s
T -->T
t -->t
U -->U
u -->u
V -->V
v -->v
W -->W
w -->w
X -->X
x -->x
Y -->Y
y -->y
Z -->Z
z -->z
~ -->~
` -->`
! -->!
1 -->1
@ -->@
2 -->2
# -->#
3 -->3
$ -->$
4 -->4
% -->%
5 -->5
^ -->^
6 -->6
& -->&
7 -->7
* -->*
8 -->8
( -->(
9 -->9
) -->)
0 -->0
_ -->_
- -->-
+ -->+
= -->=
{ -->{
[ -->[
} -->}
] -->]
| -->|
\ -->\
: -->:
; -->;
" -->"
' -->'
< --><
, -->,
> -->>
. -->.
? -->?
/ -->/

that didn t work on my platform (macosx/camino or safari) at all. all i saw were roman letters.

i have a question what does the |= symbol represent?

Nor did it work on mine: Opera 6.11 on RedHat Linux 7.2
I used this trick in octave (a MATLAB clone) to get my greek letters. The latex style (with &) seems more intuitive.

Shoot, had I known about this...

I had to use an italicized X for "chi"

What are the most frequently used math symbols in "Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!"?

The most frequently used math symbols in "Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!" are addition (+), subtraction (-), multiplication (x or *), division (/), and equals (=).

How do I know which math symbol to use for a specific operation?

The best way to determine which math symbol to use for a specific operation is to refer to the mathematical rules and conventions. Addition is used when combining two or more quantities, subtraction is used to find the difference between two quantities, multiplication is used to find the total of multiple equal groups, division is used to find the number of groups or the size of each group, and equals is used to show that two quantities are equal.

Are there any other commonly used math symbols in "Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!" besides the basic operations?

Yes, there are many other commonly used math symbols in "Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!" Some examples include exponents (^), square root (√), percentage (%), and greater than/less than (> or <).

Can I use different math symbols to represent the same operation?

Yes, there are often multiple math symbols that can represent the same operation. For example, multiplication can be represented by an "x" or an asterisk (*). However, it is important to use the standard symbols to avoid confusion and to ensure clear communication.

Are there any math symbols that have multiple meanings in "Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!"?

Yes, some math symbols in "Even More Math Symbols - Lookee What I Found!" can have multiple meanings depending on the context. For example, the equal sign (=) can also be used to show congruence in geometry, and the plus sign (+) can also represent a positive number.