Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

sequence - inhomogeneous recursion

goohu

Dec 29, 2018
NamnlΓΆs.png

I need some help with this task. My theory book only shows examples of how to solve sequences in the form :

π‘Žπ‘˜ = A * π‘Ž(π‘˜βˆ’1) βˆ’ B * π‘Ž(π‘˜βˆ’2).

But I've no idea how to solve this task because of the alternating term. I've included the Answer (called "Svar") to the task.

Opalg

MHB Oldtimer
Staff member
Feb 7, 2012
I need some help with this task. My theory book only shows examples of how to solve sequences in the form :

π‘Žπ‘˜ = A * π‘Ž(π‘˜βˆ’1) βˆ’ B * π‘Ž(π‘˜βˆ’2).

But I've no idea how to solve this task because of the alternating term. I've included the Answer (called "Svar") to the task.
One way to do this would be to replace $a_k$ by $b_k = a_k + c(-1)^k$ (where $c$ is a constant to be chosen later). Then $a_k = b_k - c(-1)^k$, and the recurrence equation for $a_k$ becomes $$b_k - c(-1)^k = 3(b_{k-1} - c(-1)^{k-1}) - (b_{k-2} - c(-1)^{k-2}) - 2(-1)^k,$$ $$b_k = 3b_{k-1} - b_{k-2} + (-1)^k(c + 3c + c - 2).$$ Now choose $c$ so that $5c-2=0$ (so $c = \frac25$). That eliminates the awkward $(-1)^k$ term from the $b_k$ equation, which you should now be able to solve. Having found the answer for $b_k$, you then have $a_k = b_k - \frac25(-1)^k$.

goohu

Dec 29, 2018
Thanks, that was a pretty solution! However the calculations got a bit messy while solving the characteristic equation for bk by hand so I went ahead and used a web calculator for it.

I'm going to give it another shot tomorrow solving it by hand.

We are not allowed to use a pocket calculator at the exam plus you lose a lot of credits if you go wrong somewhere in the calculations. That makes me a really angry student.

Edit: Solved the problem now! thanks again for the elegant solution.

Last edited: