Helping My Kid With A Physics ?

• Thread starter Forgo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the weight of the seesaw is relevant in determining the balance of a seesaw with two kids. The seesaw can be seen as another massive object and its weight can be calculated using the formula W=mg. However, if the seesaw is symmetrical, its weight can be ignored and the balance can be determined using the torque equation Mkid1rkid1=Mkid2rkid2. If the seesaw is not symmetrical, its weight must be taken into account to determine the balance, and the additional required moment can be calculated by dividing it by the weight of one of the kids.
Forgo
She has to figure out where to place a second kid on a seesaw to balance the seesaw. They give you the weight of the seesaw in the problem. Is this relevant? Or do you ignore the weight of the seesaw?

Physics news on Phys.org
No you will need the weight of the seesaw. Just consider the seesaw as another massive object, with the mass coming from directly at the center of it. Does that make sense?

By giving you the weight of the object, they are indirectly giving you it's mass ([tex]W=mg[/tex]).

Hope that helps,
-Jason

If you kid is in high school or less - you can ignore the seesaw. Your pivot point will be the center, which will allow you to completely cancel out the mass of the seesaw. If you wish to include it - that is fine - but you will see that it cancels out.

Just set ccw equal to cw and go from there.

Nautica

Assume the mass distribution of the seesaw itself to be symmetric with respect to the fulcrum; that is, that its torques balance out. The seesaw is balanced by the kids when the torque Mkid1rkid1=Mkid2rkid2, where r is the torque arm to the given kid measured from the fulcrum, and M is the mass of the given kid.

Thanks to all. You may here from me again. My daughter is a freshman in high school taking honors physics & physics was not my strong point. This site is a great resource. Thanks again.

FYI

There is a section on homework help. Scroll down.

Nautica

Just a quick note. everyone so far has assumed that the seesaw is symetrical and if this is the case then they are correct in assuming that its weight has no bearing on the problem however if it isn't then it would. For example:

If you take a 10kn seesaw which is 10 metres long but the fulcrum (pivot) is placed 6 metres from one end then the seesaw will fall towards the 6 metre end as the "moment" (engineering term) will be greater acting about the centre of that's sides mass i.e. 6kn x 3 metres = 18knm, where as the 4 metre side would be 4kn x 2 metres giving 8knm. To balance this out we need an extra 10knm on the 4 m side so if you know the weight of the kid say 4 kn then we can find the position for equilibrium (balance) by dividing the required additional moment 10knm, by the kid i.e. 10knm divided by 4kn giving a distance of 2.5 metres from the fulcrum on the 4 metre side of the seesaw.

Just in case she has a crafty teacher :smile:

1. How can I make physics interesting for my child?

There are several ways to make physics interesting for your child. You can start by incorporating hands-on experiments and demonstrations, using real-world examples and applications, and connecting physics concepts to your child's interests and hobbies. You can also use interactive online resources and games to engage your child in learning physics.

2. What are some common misconceptions about physics that I should be aware of when helping my child?

Some common misconceptions about physics include the belief that it is only for geniuses or that it's too difficult to understand. It's important to address these misconceptions and emphasize that anyone can learn and understand physics with practice and guidance. It's also important to clarify any misconceptions your child may have about specific physics concepts.

3. How can I help my child improve their problem-solving skills in physics?

You can help your child improve their problem-solving skills in physics by encouraging them to break down problems into smaller, more manageable steps, asking open-ended questions to guide their thinking, and providing them with ample opportunities to practice problem-solving. You can also encourage your child to think creatively and try different approaches to solving problems.

4. What resources can I use to supplement my child's learning in physics?

There are many resources available to supplement your child's learning in physics. You can use textbooks, online tutorials, educational videos, and educational games to reinforce concepts and provide additional practice. You can also seek out a tutor or enroll your child in a physics class or workshop.

5. How can I support my child if they are struggling with a particular physics concept?

If your child is struggling with a particular physics concept, it's important to provide them with extra support and resources. This can include reviewing the concept together, finding additional practice problems, or seeking out a tutor or teacher for extra help. You can also encourage your child to continue practicing and remind them that it's okay to make mistakes as that is a part of the learning process.