Not sure how to get started on on prob

• Thread starter cowgiljl
  • Start date
In summary, to calculate the velocity in ft/sec of a truck weighing 6000 lb going around a curve with a radius of 650 feet, we need to consider centripetal acceleration and centripetal force. The only force that can keep the truck moving along the curve is friction, so using Newton's second law, we can set up the equation F=ma and solve for the velocity (v) using the given values. The final velocity is approximately 11.04 ft/s.
cowgiljl
A truck weighs 6000 lb. The truck is going around a curvewith a radius of 650 feet. The maximum friction force the road can exert on the tires is 1125 lb. it wants me to calculate the velocity in ft/sec

I am sort of lost on this an y help would be great

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about centripetal acceleration & centripetal force.

What is needed to keep the truck moving along that curve, and what can the road provide?

still having problems

right now the only thing I know what to do is I converted the items that are in pounds to Kg. and feet to m

struggling

OK, centripetal acceleration is given by v^2/r.

And by Newton's second law, we know that F=ma. Since the car is moving in a circular path, he is accelerating. The only force that is pointing towards the center of the circle is friction. So:
F=ma
Force of friction = m*(v^2/r)
1125lb = 6000lb*(v^2/650ft)
v=11.039701082909808568455053408699 ft/s

x

thanks a lot i have been trying to catch up on all the homewok and study for my physics final

thanks again

1. What is a prob and why should I care about it?

A prob (short for probability) is a measure of how likely an event is to occur. In the scientific context, it is used to quantify uncertainty and make predictions. Understanding and utilizing prob can help you make informed decisions and draw conclusions from data.

2. How do I determine the prob of an event?

The prob of an event can be calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. For example, if you want to know the prob of rolling a 6 on a standard die, the equation would be: (1 favorable outcome / 6 possible outcomes) = 1/6 = 0.167 or 16.7%.

3. Can I use prob for all types of data?

Yes, prob can be used for both qualitative and quantitative data. For qualitative data, you can assign numerical values to represent the different outcomes. For quantitative data, you can use statistical methods to calculate the prob of certain events occurring.

4. How do I interpret prob values?

A prob of 0 means the event is impossible, while a prob of 1 means the event is certain. A prob between 0 and 1 represents the likelihood of the event occurring, with higher values indicating a higher likelihood. For example, a prob of 0.8 means there is an 80% chance of the event happening.

5. What are some common applications of prob in science?

Prob is used in many areas of science, including genetics, physics, and psychology. It can be used to predict the outcomes of experiments, analyze data, and make informed decisions. It is also used in risk assessment and in creating statistical models to understand complex systems.