Calculating Acceleration of a Solar Sail at a Distance from the Sun

• Thread starter purduegrad
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Exam
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the acceleration of a solar sail located 1.46e8 km from the sun with a power of 10^20 kw. The sail has an area of 200m^2 and a mass of 10kg. The formula f=2IA/c is mentioned, but there is confusion about the value of D, which is believed to represent distance. It is mentioned that the answer will be "real tiny" due to the large distance and the fact that the power is divided by the surface area of a sphere. The person also mentions using Newton's f=ma formula to calculate the acceleration. It is noted that the person has asked a similar question before, but did not respond to the answers
purduegrad
well doing lots of problems for finals and posting the ones i can't get...again I am havin trouble with this reflection stuff

A solar sail of area A=200m^2 is at a distance 1.46e8 km from the sun. suppose the power of the sun is 10^20 kw and the sail is perfectly reflecting ( think you use f=2IA /c ) mass is 10kg, calculate the accel of the sail at this point in space...

again not sure here... how you get it

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, I don't know how you get D, because you didn't say what D means!
I would be inclined to think that D means "Distance" but you are explicitely told what that is.

The reason the answer is "real tiny" is that the power 1020 is divided by the surface area of a sphere with radius 1.45x1014km. before be multiplied by the area of the sail to get the power actually delivered to the sail.

i dunno, I am confused, lol we just need accel, i was going to use Newtons f=ma

Didn't you post a question about the pressure due to reflected light just a few days ago? Several folks answered, but you never responded. The same reasoning would apply here.

1. What is "Another old exam problem"?

"Another old exam problem" is a phrase commonly used to refer to a practice problem or question that has been used on previous exams.

2. Why do teachers use "another old exam problem"?

Teachers may use "another old exam problem" as a way to familiarize students with the format and types of questions that may appear on an upcoming exam.

3. How can I use "another old exam problem" to study?

You can use "another old exam problem" as a study tool by attempting to solve the problem on your own, checking your answer, and then reviewing the solution to understand any mistakes or areas for improvement.

4. Is "another old exam problem" an accurate representation of the actual exam?

While "another old exam problem" may provide insight into the types of questions that may be asked, it is not a guaranteed representation of the actual exam. Teachers may change the format or content of the exam to ensure fairness and prevent students from simply memorizing answers.

5. How can I find more "another old exam problems" to practice?

You can ask your teacher if they have any additional "another old exam problems" or you can search online for practice exams or questions from similar courses or textbooks.