Solving Calculus Problems with Mechanics: A Step-by-Step Guide

In summary, the conversation is about solving a calculus problem involving finding the tangent and normal lines at a given point. The solution involves finding the velocity vector and using it to determine the tangent line. There is a discussion about the difference between the velocity vector and the tangent line, with the conclusion that the velocity vector determines the direction and magnitude of speed, while the tangent line only represents direction.
Feynmanfan
Hello everybody!

I'm having trouble with this calculus problem, where I don't know if I can apply what I've learned in MECHANICS.

"given a path s(t)=(t+1,E^t) calculate it's tangent line and the normal line at
this point s(0)"

and this is another version of the problem in R3

"given a path s(t)=(2t,t^2,Lnt) calculate the velocity vector and the tangent line at (2,1,0)"

How do I solve this? Is it just the derivative and that's all?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
the derivative gives a tangent vector at that point. you need to then finsd the equation of a line passing through that point in the direction of the tangent vector,

You can break it down like this:

If s(t) gives the path of the object, then its coordinates at all times are:
sx(t) = 2t
sy(t) = t2
sz(t) = ln(t)
Then the velocity in every direction (axis) is:
|vx(t)| = sx'(t) = 2
|vy(t)| = sy'(t) = 2t
|vz(t)| = sz'(t) = 1/t
For t = 1, when the object is at (2, 1, 0), you have |vx| = 2, |vy| = 4 and |vz| = 1. In other words, the velocity vector is 2i + 4j + k or (2, 4, 1).

thanks.
well I think I got that one but what about the normal vector? is it as easy as taking the derivative? is there a difference between the velocity vector and the tangent line?

Feynmanfan said:
well I think I got that one but what about the normal vector? is it as easy as taking the derivative?
The first problem you're not supposed to do with vectors, I don't think. Once you find the tangent line y = ax + b, the normal line is y = -x/a + c. You just need to find c...

Feynmanfan said:
is there a difference between the velocity vector and the tangent line?
The velocity vector determines the direction of the speed as well as its magnitude. Because of this you can't manipulate it however you want, because while the direction wouldn't change, the speed might. The tangent vector, on the other hand, only represents direction, which means its magnitude doesn't matter. Therefore you can multiply or divide it by any scalar k, i.e above we found the velocity vector to be (2, 4, 1) and that's it, but the tangent line can also be (4, 8, 2) or (1/2, 1, 1/4).

Last edited:
That was a great answer! Thanks a lot.

1. What is Calculus?

Calculus is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of change and motion. It involves the use of mathematical concepts and methods to solve problems related to rates of change and accumulation.

2. How is Calculus used in Mechanics?

Calculus is used in mechanics to solve problems related to motion, forces, and energy. It provides tools for analyzing and predicting the behavior of physical systems, such as the motion of objects under the influence of forces.

3. What are the key concepts in Solving Calculus Problems with Mechanics?

The key concepts in Solving Calculus Problems with Mechanics include derivatives, integrals, position, velocity, acceleration, force, and work. These concepts are essential for understanding and solving problems related to motion and forces.

4. What are the steps involved in solving Calculus problems with Mechanics?

The steps involved in solving Calculus problems with Mechanics include understanding the problem, drawing a diagram, identifying the given information, choosing appropriate equations, applying the equations, and checking the answer for accuracy.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving Calculus problems with Mechanics?

To improve your skills in solving Calculus problems with Mechanics, it is essential to practice regularly and familiarize yourself with the key concepts and equations. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or using online resources can also be beneficial.