Separating Mixtures: Does the Order Matter in Physical Methods?

• Thread starter fatherlewis
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Separation
In summary, the order in which you separate mixtures using physical methods can affect the success of the separation. In the example provided, separating the napthalene first through sublimation and then the urea through water solubility filtration is an effective method. However, if the order was reversed, it may not have been as successful. It is also important to consider the properties of the substances being separated, such as naphthalene not being water soluble.
fatherlewis
when separating mixtures using only physical methods, does the order in which you separate them mater?

for example, if i had had urea and napthalene in the mixture...both are water soluble...so to take the urea out i first take out the napthalene through sublimitation and then the urea through water solubility filtration (evaporation the water)...so if i hadn't taken the napthalene out first would that affect anything in the grand scheme of things?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Naphthalene is not water soluble.

And yes - sometimes selecting correct order allows separation.

Last edited:
fatherlewis said:
when separating mixtures using only physical methods, does the order in which you separate them mater?

for example, if i had had urea and napthalene in the mixture...both are water soluble...so to take the urea out i first take out the napthalene through sublimitation and then the urea through water solubility filtration (evaporation the water)...so if i hadn't taken the napthalene out first would that affect anything in the grand scheme of things?

I am not familiar with this method however my impression was that sublimation is relevant to a solid. How do you plan to collect the naphthalene? I am not certain if there are any concerns with boiling an aqueous solution of naphthalene since it has a freezing point of 80 C - 90 C.

Related to Separating Mixtures: Does the Order Matter in Physical Methods?

1. What is separation in science?

Separation in science refers to the process of separating a mixture or a solution into its individual components or substances. This can be done through various techniques such as filtration, distillation, chromatography, and centrifugation.

2. Why is separation important in science?

Separation is important in science because it allows us to isolate and study the individual components of a mixture or solution. This is crucial in understanding the properties and behavior of substances, as well as in the development of new technologies and products.

3. What are some common methods of separation?

Some common methods of separation include filtration, which uses a porous material to separate solids from liquids; distillation, which separates substances based on their boiling points; chromatography, which separates substances based on their interactions with a stationary phase; and centrifugation, which uses centrifugal force to separate substances with different densities.

4. How do scientists decide which method of separation to use?

The choice of separation method depends on the properties of the substances being separated and the desired outcome. For example, if the substances have different boiling points, distillation would be the most appropriate method, while if they have different molecular sizes, chromatography would be more suitable.

5. Can separation be used to purify substances?

Yes, separation is often used as a purification technique in science. By removing impurities and isolating the desired substance, separation helps to obtain a purer and more concentrated sample for further analysis or use.