Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Separately quoting different paragraphs of the same post

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017
My apologies if I have overlooked the obvious.

Is there an easy way to select different (non-consecutive) paragraphs of the same post (possibly containing $\LaTeX$), so they appear as separate quotes in a reply? (So far, I have been replying in separate browser tabs, quoting the entire post and then copy-pasting the intended paragraph from one reply-box to another.)

For an example of what I mean, please see post #2 in this thread.

For clarity I sometimes prefer to reply separately to different paragraphs, specially when the original post is long.

Thank you in advance!

Greg

Perseverance
Staff member
Feb 5, 2013
Hi krylov. Use the "Quote Break" button found in the lower left-hand corner of the text (reply) box. Put the cursor where you want the break to occur then click the button. :)

Janssens

Sep 16, 2017

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
I'm going to be honest and embarrass myself now.

I've used vBulletin for over 10+ years in all forms and I never knew about this. (Blush) Whenever I've done quote breaks I would manually add [/QUOTE] block to the end point, comment, then put a new
block to continue. This is so convenient.

Klaas van Aarsen

MHB Seeker
Staff member
Mar 5, 2012

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
I'm going to be honest and embarrass myself now.

I've used vBulletin for over 10+ years in all forms and I never knew about this. (Blush) Whenever I've done quote breaks I would manually add [/QUOTE] block to the end point, comment, then put a new [QUOTE] block to continue. This is so convenient.
This was a feature I developed not long ago in response to a feature request made by Adrian. :)

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
This was a feature I developed not long ago in response to a feature request made by Adrian. :)
Well I read that post and saw the announcement but somehow didn't internalize the improvement. You should be paid by vBulletin for all of the features you've coded to their product. :)

Monoxdifly

Aug 6, 2015

MarkFL

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 24, 2012
So that's why I never knew about it despite being member of various forums (including V-Bulletin based ones) since 2010. Do SMF and phpBB have the same feature?
I've never seen a forum software with this feature...it is a vBulletin 4.2.x product I coded and made available publicly.