How do I rewrite ln9-3ln(squareroot 3) + ln81 in the form kln3?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a specific math question involving logarithms. They discuss various rules and methods for solving the problem and eventually come to a correct solution with the help of the other person. The conversation ends with the person thanking the other for their assistance and receiving some advice for future math problems.
phy
i need help with this one question; we have to write ln9-3ln(squareroot 3) + ln81 in the form kln3 where k is an exact fraction; i don't remember how to do this at all so any help would be greatly appreciated; thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Remember the general rule : ln(a^(b))=b*ln(a)

so i could rewrite it as 2ln3-3ln(sqrt3)+4ln3; but then what?

Remember that taking the square root is the same as raising to the 1/2 power. You may also want to combine the logs before making the exponents into the coefficients. Do you remember your log properties?

um, not really

Use Moose352 suggestion of sqrt(3)=3^(1/2). You will now have ln(3) as a common factor.

so would the answer just be 4(4/3)ln3?

How did you get the 1/3 denominator?

well i said that 3ln(sqrt3) is the same as 3ln(3^1/2) which is the same as 3/2(ln3)

I'm with you there, that's correct.
But it's 2 in the denominator not 3!

yeah so don't we do 3*1/2 which is 3/2? i'll show you what I've done so far.
2ln3-3/2ln3+4ln3
(4ln3)(2ln3)/(3/2ln3)
4(4/3)ln3

Allright, I see were you have mixed up:

Sum rule logarithm: ln(x)+ln(y)=ln(x*y)
This is not what you have done.
Exponent rule logarithms: ln(a^(b))=b*ln(a)

If you want to do it with the sum rule, write:

2ln(3)-3/2ln(3)+4ln(3)=ln(3^(2))+ln(1/(3^(3/2)))+ln(3^(4))=
ln(3^(2-3/2+4))=ln(3^(9/2))=9/2ln(3)

I'll check up on this thread tomorrow..

ok i get it now; i see where i made my mistake. thanks a lot for your help :)

A good advice:
When doing maths you are not too familiar with, keep the definitions right in front of you while you're working, until you don't need to look at them anymore.

yeah, that is good advice; it's just that that was a review question from my calculus textbook, stuff that we learned in high school and haven't seen in some time; we were just expected to remember how to do it and i forgot; well, thanks for all your help

What is a natural logarithm?

A natural logarithm is a mathematical function that is the inverse of the natural exponential function. It is denoted as ln(x) and is used to describe the relationship between the growth rate of a quantity and the time it takes to grow.

What is the difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms?

The main difference between natural logarithms and common logarithms is the base of the logarithm. Natural logarithms have a base of the mathematical constant e (approximately 2.718), while common logarithms have a base of 10.

Why are natural logarithms important?

Natural logarithms are important in many areas of mathematics and science, including calculus, statistics, and physics. They are also used in finance, economics, and engineering to model growth and decay processes.

How do you calculate a natural logarithm?

To calculate a natural logarithm, you can use a scientific calculator or a computer program. Alternatively, you can use the formula ln(x) = loge(x), where e is the mathematical constant approximately equal to 2.718.

What are some real-world applications of natural logarithms?

Natural logarithms are used in a variety of real-world applications, such as calculating interest rates, population growth, and radioactive decay. They are also used in signal processing, image processing, and data compression.