Sensitive barometer indicating altitude

In summary, a barometer indicates altitude by measuring atmospheric pressure, which decreases as altitude increases. The sensitivity of a barometer is determined by its design, with a long and narrow tube allowing for a greater difference in pressure to be detected. While a barometer can be used to accurately measure altitude, calibration and consideration of other factors such as temperature and weather conditions is important. Air pressure decreases with altitude due to the decreasing weight of air above, with sea level having an average pressure of 1013.25 millibars and higher altitudes dropping to less than 400 mb. However, there are limitations to using a barometer as changes in weather, temperature, and other environmental factors can affect its accuracy. Extreme altitudes may also pose
Alfred Cann
This is a cry for help. I posted a question under General Physics, titled Sensitive Barometer to Show Altitude on 13 June and have received no replies yet.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your previous post is a series of statements. There is no question asked, so what are we supposed to respond to?
Anyhow, I'm not qualified to discuss it.

My question is, why doesn't it work?
Any flaws in my reasoning? Calculations?

Related to Sensitive barometer indicating altitude

1. How does a barometer indicate altitude?

A barometer measures atmospheric pressure, which decreases as altitude increases. Therefore, a sensitive barometer can be used to determine changes in altitude.

2. What makes a barometer sensitive?

A sensitive barometer is designed with a long and narrow tube that is sealed at one end and open at the other. This allows for a greater difference in pressure to be detected and measured.

3. Can a barometer be used to accurately measure altitude?

Yes, a barometer can be used to accurately measure altitude, but it is important to calibrate the instrument and consider other factors such as temperature and weather conditions.

4. How does air pressure change with altitude?

Air pressure decreases with increasing altitude due to the decreasing weight of the air above. At sea level, the average air pressure is 1013.25 millibars (mb), but at higher altitudes it can drop to less than 400 mb.

5. Are there any limitations to using a barometer to indicate altitude?

While a barometer can provide a good estimate of altitude, it is not always accurate. Changes in weather patterns, temperature, and other environmental factors can affect the readings. Additionally, a barometer may not be as accurate at extreme altitudes.