Senior Thesis Topic: Astrophysics & Relativity

In summary, Brian is interested in studying general relativity, relativistic fluid dynamics, and electrodynamics. He is looking for guidance on what to study for his thesis, and is looking for recommendations on good reading materials. He also asked whether it would be a good idea to have a faculty member supervising his thesis.
Brian T
Hello all!
I plan on doing a senior thesis in order to graduate with Honor's in Physics (Specialization Astrophysics). Although I'm only in my second year, I wish to begin research to be better prepared for when I actually pair with an adviser for directed study and thesis writing. I plan on writing a theoretical thesis (I am in an experimental research group, but would rather have a theoretical thesis).

I have recently become very interested in general relativity, relativistic fluid dynamics, and electrodynamics. I have begun to study these topics by my own but still have much to learn. Does anybody have any thoughts on what would be good to study for my thesis? Of course, I do not want someone to directly tell me a topic, but rather am seeking for a little guidance to help push me in the right direction and narrow down my study.

I have seen a senior thesis on the derivation of the Schwarzschild metric/solution which was interesting to read. Any ideas / topics / suggestions for reading would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :wink:

Physics news on Phys.org
One thing you can do is to get copies of good senior theses to see what is required to write one and the depth of understanding needed.

Next I would really focus on your coursework, especially mathematics courses as they will be needed for any theoretical topic. Your advisor should be able to provide a list of math courses relevant to GR. At a minimum, you will need to understand Vector Calculus and Tensor Analysis in order to deal with GR topics.

Likes Brian T
Hi Brian, some of the best senior thesis in physics I have seen are those from Wooster College. Here is a link to their undergraduate research programme, where you can find advice on writing thesis, examples of senior thesis and thesis titles: http://physics.wooster.edu/REU/projects.html

Likes Brian T
Brian T said:
Hello all!
I plan on doing a senior thesis in order to graduate with Honor's in Physics (Specialization Astrophysics). Although I'm only in my second year, I wish to begin research to be better prepared for when I actually pair with an adviser for directed study and thesis writing. I plan on writing a theoretical thesis (I am in an experimental research group, but would rather have a theoretical thesis).

I have recently become very interested in general relativity, relativistic fluid dynamics, and electrodynamics. I have begun to study these topics by my own but still have much to learn. Does anybody have any thoughts on what would be good to study for my thesis? Of course, I do not want someone to directly tell me a topic, but rather am seeking for a little guidance to help push me in the right direction and narrow down my study.

I have seen a senior thesis on the derivation of the Schwarzschild metric/solution which was interesting to read. Any ideas / topics / suggestions for reading would be greatly appreciated. Thank you :wink:
Do you have a faculty member (in particular, a theorist) supervising your thesis? If so, you would be much better off asking them for ideas - there are so many things you can study. And, presumably this does not need to be original research, so you could even find a few related articles and summarise them (e.g. are there any particular exact solutions of the Einstein field equations that interest you?)

Related to Senior Thesis Topic: Astrophysics & Relativity

1. What is astrophysics and relativity?

Astrophysics is a branch of astronomy that studies the physical properties and behavior of celestial objects and phenomena. Relativity is a theory that describes the relationships between space, time, and gravity.

2. Why is studying astrophysics and relativity important?

Understanding astrophysics and relativity can help us gain a deeper understanding of the universe and how it works. It also has practical applications, such as improving our technology for space exploration and communication.

3. What are some current topics being researched in astrophysics and relativity?

Some current topics include black holes, dark matter, gravitational waves, and the expansion of the universe. Researchers are also studying how these concepts relate to each other and trying to uncover new mysteries of the cosmos.

4. Can you give an example of a real-world application of astrophysics and relativity?

A real-world application is the use of GPS satellites, which rely on the principles of relativity to accurately measure the time difference between Earth and the satellites. This allows for precise navigation and location tracking on Earth.

5. What skills and knowledge are required to pursue a senior thesis in astrophysics and relativity?

A strong background in physics and mathematics is essential, as well as a deep interest in astronomy and space. Good critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and proficiency in data analysis are also important for conducting research in this field.