Semicontinuity for single variable function. What is it all about?

In summary, upper and lower semicontinuity are concepts used in topology to describe the behavior of functions in a neighborhood around a point. They relax the conditions imposed by continuity, but also restrict certain behaviors of the functions. They can be related to the concept of limits, but have a more general definition that applies to arbitrary topological spaces. They are used in various theorems and proofs in topology and can be helpful in understanding the behavior of functions. However, there are limited real-life examples or analogies to explain these concepts to someone who is not familiar with topology.
perwiradua
Let [itex]f: X \rightarrow \mathbb{R}[/itex]. The definition given for upper semicontinuity at a point [itex]a[/itex] is for any positive [itex]\epsilon[/itex] there is a positive [itex]\delta[/itex] such that if [itex]|x - a| < \delta[/itex] then [itex]f(x) < f(a) + \epsilon[/itex].

My understanding is, for ordinary continuity at the point [itex]a[/itex] then the inequality [itex] |f(x) - f(a)| < \epsilon [/itex] or [itex] f(a) - \epsilon < f(x) < f(a) + \epsilon [/itex] holds. Therefore for upper semicontinuity we are interested in the right part of the inequality (for lower semicontinuity, we are interested in the left part).

For example the graph
[tex]f(x) = \left \{ \begin{array}{cc} x^2, & x \neq 1, \\ 2, & x = 1 \end{array} \right .[/tex]
is upper semicontinuous at [itex] x = 1 [/itex]. Does that mean that upper (lower) semicontinuity relaxes the requirement that a jump may occur up (down) at that point?

1. What is the story behind it?
2. Is there any real life example or analogy that we can relate to of this concept? (How to explain it to a precocious eight year old child?)
3. Why do we need the notion of upper (lower) semicontinuity?
4. What differentiate the notion of upper (lower) semicontinuity from that of left/right limit?
4. In what context is the notion of upper (lower) semicontinuity used widely?

Physics news on Phys.org
I am not particularly well-versed with semi-continuous functions, but I think I can provide answers to some of your questions:

Does that mean that upper (lower) semicontinuity relaxes the requirement that a jump may occur up (down) at that point?

Very roughly speaking, a function f is upper (resp. lower) semi-continuous if the values of f in some neighborhood around x0 are close to f(x0) or are less than (resp. greater than) f(x0). I think this is backward from what you have there, but I always get confused with directionality on graphs.

We can verify that this description is correct as follows: Let X be a topological space, let R* denote the extended real numbers and consider an upper semi-continuous function f:X → R*. Take α = f(x0)+ε and consider the open neighborhood in f-1([-∞,α)) containing x0. For every x in this neighborhood, we see f(x) is close f(x0) or f(x) < f(x0).

2. Is there any real life example or analogy that we can relate to of this concept? (How to explain it to a precocious eight year old child?)

I do not know of any 'real life' applications of semi-continuity, so I am not sure how you could best relate this to anyone else. My best guess is that you could talk about graphs in R2. For example, some high school courses explain that continuous functions are the kinds of functions whose graph you can draw without lifting your pencil. Likewise, for semi-continuity you could explain how this condition relaxes the conditions imposed by continuity, but also restricts some of the behaviors of the functions. I think mentioning it relaxes the upward/downward step discontinuity thing might be a good way to do this.

3. Why do we need the notion of upper (lower) semicontinuity?

I do not know why (or even if) we need it, but it can make things nicer. For example, in terms of semi-continuous functions, Urysohn's Lemma essentially states the existence of a continuous function between between upper and lower semi-continuous functions. The proof of the theorem can also be helped by utilizing upper and lower semi-continuity. In particular, once the desired function f has been constructed, we can show that it is continuous by checking that it is both upper and lower semi-continuous.

4. What differentiate the notion of upper (lower) semicontinuity from that of left/right limit?

Most of us have only seen limits in the contexts of metric spaces while global upper and lower semi-continuity have nice definitions that work for an arbitrary topological space.

I think you can generalize the limit concept to arbitrary topological spaces, in which case you could define local upper and lower semi-continuity, but I am not familiar with the concepts. In any case, I think this answers the question.

Thank you for the answer, jgens. My feeling is that the concept can be found in topology. However the scarcity of examples in the literature obviously does not help to reinforce one's understanding.

Roughly speaking, a function is continuous if its graph can be drawn without lifting the pencil. This is the kind of analogy that I am looking for when learning abstract mathematical concepts. It answers the question what it is about and makes learning such concepts more meaningful.

Related to Semicontinuity for single variable function. What is it all about?

1. What is semicontinuity for a single variable function?

Semicontinuity for a single variable function is a property that describes how the function behaves for small changes in its input variable. Specifically, it refers to the function's ability to maintain its continuity at a particular point or set of points, even when the input variable is changed slightly.

2. How is semicontinuity different from continuity?

Continuity refers to a function's ability to have a smooth and unbroken graph, without any sudden jumps or breaks. Semicontinuity is a weaker condition, as it allows for the function to have some small jumps or breaks, but only at a few specific points. Essentially, semicontinuity is a relaxed version of continuity for single variable functions.

3. Why is semicontinuity important in mathematics?

Semicontinuity is important in mathematics because it allows us to study and analyze functions that are not necessarily continuous. This expands our understanding and application of functions in various areas of mathematics, including analysis, optimization, and differential equations. Semicontinuity also plays a crucial role in the study of convex analysis and variational inequalities.

4. How is semicontinuity related to convexity?

There is a close relationship between semicontinuity and convexity. A function is called convex if its graph lies above every line segment connecting two points on the graph. It can be shown that every convex function is also semicontinuous. This means that if a function is convex, it will also have the property of semicontinuity, but the converse is not necessarily true.

5. Can semicontinuity be extended to multivariable functions?

Yes, semicontinuity can be extended to multivariable functions. In this case, we talk about semicontinuity in terms of sets, rather than points. A multivariable function is said to be semicontinuous if the set of points where the function is not continuous is relatively small, meaning it has a lower dimension compared to the set of all points where the function is continuous. This extension of semicontinuity is particularly useful in the study of optimization and game theory.