Semiconductor Questions: Carrier Lifetimes and Temperature Effects

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions about semiconductors: whether measured carrier lifetimes can determine the type of material and the effect of increasing sample temperature on the lifetime. The suggestion to refer to Seegers book for a better understanding is given and the person plans to check it out the next day.
poder17
hi guys,

i have two semiconductor questions that have been troubling me.

1. can measured carrier lifetimes be used to determine if the material is n-type or p-type?

2. what would be the effect on the lifetime of increasing the sample temperature?

i have been getting mixed information on both questions and was wondering if someone could clear it up for me.

thankyou

Physics news on Phys.org
Look at Seegers book on Semiconductors, it has the best writeup on relaxation time approximation for electronic transport in semiconductors without getting into the nuances of the advanced formulation. I'll be happy to work with you on this further if youare still confused.

thanks for the tip on the book, unfortunately it was sunday today and the library at my university was closed, i'll have to look it up tomorrow.

Related to Semiconductor Questions: Carrier Lifetimes and Temperature Effects

1. What is a semiconductor?

A semiconductor is a material that has properties in between those of a conductor and an insulator. It can conduct electricity under certain conditions, but not as easily as a metal. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as transistors and diodes.

2. How do semiconductors work?

Semiconductors have a unique band structure that allows them to have both conducting and non-conducting properties. When an electric field is applied, it can cause the electrons in the material to move, allowing for the flow of electricity.

3. What are some common types of semiconductors?

The most commonly used semiconductors are silicon, germanium, and gallium arsenide. These materials are used in a variety of electronic devices and systems.

4. How are semiconductors manufactured?

Semiconductors are typically manufactured through a process called doping, where impurities are added to the material to alter its electrical properties. This can be done through a variety of methods, such as diffusion or ion implantation.

5. What are the advantages of using semiconductors?

Semiconductors have many advantages, including their small size, low power consumption, and ability to be easily manipulated and controlled. They are also relatively inexpensive to produce and can be used in a wide range of electronic devices.