Semiconductor Electrical Field?

In summary, to determine the electric field as a function of x in this problem, we can use the equations E(x) = (1/ε)* dV/dx and d^2V/dx^2 = -ρ/ε, where ρ = q*n(x). By solving for the potential V and using the given values for Dn, μn, and Jn, we can find the electric field at any point within the given range of x = 0 to 25 μm.
Rome_Leader

Homework Statement

The electron concentration in silicon at T = 300K is: n(x) = 1016e(-x/18) cm-3 where x is measured in μm and is limited to 0 ≤ x ≤ 25. The electron diffusion coefficient, Dn = 25 cm2/s and the electron mobility is μn = 960cm2/Vs. The total electron current density is constant and = Jn = -40A/cm2. The electron current has both diffusion and drift current components.

Determine the electric field as a function of x which must exist in the semiconductor.

Homework Equations

εx = (-kT/e)* d/dx (ln*Nd(x))

The Attempt at a Solution

Pretty lost here. My first instinct was to attempt a solution with the above equation by taking the derivative of n(x). Firstly, I was thrown off by the given range of x. Should I incorperate it somehow? Secondly, I'm not even sure if Nd(x) is the same quantity as the given n(x). How could I infer this from the question?

If anyone could put me on the right track at least with what equation to use, I would greatly appreciate it!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi there,

To find the electric field as a function of x, we can use the equation:

E(x) = (1/ε)* dV/dx

where ε is the permittivity of silicon and V is the potential.

To find the potential, we can use the Poisson's equation:

d^2V/dx^2 = -ρ/ε

where ρ is the charge density given by:

ρ = q*n(x)

where q is the charge of an electron and n(x) is the electron concentration given in the problem.

Using the given values for Dn, μn, and Jn, we can find the charge density ρ and then solve for the potential V. Once we have the potential, we can find the electric field using the first equation mentioned.

Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to Semiconductor Electrical Field?

1. What is a semiconductor electrical field?

A semiconductor electrical field is a region in a semiconductor material where the electric potential and electric field vary due to the presence of charged particles such as electrons and holes.

2. How is the electrical field in a semiconductor created?

The electrical field in a semiconductor is created by the difference in the concentration of positively and negatively charged particles in the material. This difference in concentration results in a potential difference, which in turn creates an electrical field.

3. What is the role of the electrical field in a semiconductor?

The electrical field in a semiconductor plays a crucial role in the movement of charged particles. It controls the flow of electrons and holes and determines the direction and magnitude of the current in the material.

4. How does the electrical field affect the behavior of a semiconductor device?

The electrical field can affect the behavior of a semiconductor device in several ways. It can influence the movement of charged particles, change the conductivity of the material, and alter the voltage and current characteristics of the device.

5. What factors can affect the strength of the electrical field in a semiconductor?

The strength of the electrical field in a semiconductor can be affected by factors such as the type and concentration of dopants, temperature, and the presence of external electric fields. These factors can alter the charge distribution and therefore, the strength of the electrical field in the material.