Semiconductor diode (graph quesiton)

In summary, the conversation discusses the current-voltage characteristic curve of a semiconductor diode as a function of temperature. The equation for this curve is given, with key variables such as e, |e|, k_B, and T defined. The task at hand is to set up a spreadsheet to calculate I and R for a range of voltages, assuming a certain value for I_0. The final step is to create a scatterplot of R versus ΔV for three different temperatures and plot the temperatures on the graph. Some clarification is needed on the instructions for calculating I, but the overall goal is to analyze the behavior of the diode at different temperatures and plot the results.
darksyesider

Homework Statement

The current-voltage characteristic curve of a semiconductor diode as a function of temperature T is given by the equation: ##I = I_0(e^{|e|\Delta V / k_BT}-1)##
where e is the base of the natural logarithm.
|e| is the charge of an electron
k_B is the boltzmann's constant
and T is the absolute temperature.

Set up a spreadsheet to calculate I and R = ΔV/I for V = 0.400V to 0.600V at 0.005 V increments. Assume I_0 = 1.00nA. Scatterplot R versus ΔV for T = 280K, 300K, 320 K. Plot the temperatures.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get how you can set up a spreadsheet to calculate I….aren't we missing the value of T?
And if "T" is suppose to be the absolute temperature, wouldn't it be 0 K making the fraction undefined?

Physics news on Phys.org
darksyesider said:

Homework Statement

The current-voltage characteristic curve of a semiconductor diode as a function of temperature T is given by the equation: ##I = I_0(e^{|e|\Delta V / k_BT}-1)##
where e is the base of the natural logarithm.
|e| is the charge of an electron
k_B is the boltzmann's constant
and T is the absolute temperature.

Set up a spreadsheet to calculate I and R = ΔV/I for V = 0.400V to 0.600V at 0.005 V increments. Assume I_0 = 1.00nA. Scatterplot R versus ΔV for T = 280K, 300K, 320 K. Plot the temperatures.

Homework Equations

see above

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't get how you can set up a spreadsheet to calculate I….aren't we missing the value of T?
And if "T" is suppose to be the absolute temperature, wouldn't it be 0 K making the fraction undefined?

It looks like they want results for the 3 temperatures given. Maybe make the first column the voltage, then calculate I in 3 more columns, one for each temperature.

I don't get the bolded part of the question, though. Is that copied exactly from your assignment?

Related to Semiconductor diode (graph quesiton)

1. What is a semiconductor diode?

A semiconductor diode is a type of electronic device made of a semiconductor material, such as silicon or germanium. It typically has two terminals and allows current to flow in one direction while blocking it in the other direction.

2. How does a semiconductor diode work?

A semiconductor diode works by utilizing the properties of the semiconductor material. When a voltage is applied, one side of the diode becomes positively charged and the other side becomes negatively charged, creating a potential barrier. This barrier allows current to flow in one direction, but not the other.

3. What are the applications of semiconductor diodes?

Semiconductor diodes have a wide range of applications in electronics, including rectification (converting AC to DC), voltage regulation, signal modulation, and switching. They are also used in various types of electronic devices, such as computers, televisions, and mobile phones.

4. What are the different types of semiconductor diodes?

There are several types of semiconductor diodes, including the basic p-n junction diode, Schottky diode, Zener diode, and tunnel diode. Each type has its own unique structure and properties, making them suitable for different applications.

5. What are the advantages of using semiconductor diodes?

Semiconductor diodes have many advantages, including their small size, low cost, and high efficiency. They also have a fast response time, making them ideal for use in fast switching applications. Additionally, they can handle high frequencies and temperatures, making them versatile for use in various electronic devices.