Semi-circular cylinder and line charge

In summary: The force per unit length on the wire is the same as the force per unit length on the cylinder, as long as the charges are the same.
Angela G
Homework Statement
Determine the amount of the force per unit length acting on the line charge from a semi-circular cylinder with a radius R. The axis of the cylinder is perpendicular to
the plan of the figure. The cylinder is very ("infinitely") long and has a surface charge density σ. Theris a line charge with longitudinal charge density, λ_0, at the center.
Relevant Equations
##E = \frac{1}{4\pi \epsilon_0} \int \frac{dq}{r^2} ##
## F = qE##
Hi!
I think I solved the problem but I would like you to take a look at it please, is it right? is there a better way to solve it?

Attachments

• 20211011_040103.jpg
    20211011_040103.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 64
  • 20211011_040129.jpg
    20211011_040129.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 76
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I am not sure where you go wrong but I think your final answer shouldn't depend on z, because the problem has z-symmetry.

There is a much easier (I believe) way of solving this. Calculate the force that the line charge (of the center) applies to the infinite half cylinder and then use Newton's 3rd law to equate this force with the force requested by the problem's statement.

Last edited:
BTW, when you integrate, you set the limits of integration from 0 to z, I think they should be ##-\infty## to ##+\infty##.

I followed your advice and I got that the electric field due to a charge line at a distance R is $$ E = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 R} $$ ( I'm searching the magnitude of the force per unit charge not the dircetion)

And that the Force per unit length is $$ \frac{F}{L} = \frac{\sigma\lambda R}{\pi\epsilon_0 L}$$

is that right? I maybe can write the force per unit length as
$$ \frac{F}{L} = \frac{\sigma Q R}{\pi\epsilon_0} $$ where Q is the charge of the rod

I realized that I have to use ##\lambda## so forget the expression with Q

Attachments

• 20211011_110333.jpg
    20211011_110333.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 69
  • 20211011_110346.jpg
    20211011_110346.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Angela G said:
I followed your advice and I got that the electric field due to a charge line at a distance R is $$ E = \frac{\lambda}{2 \pi \epsilon_0 R} $$ ( I'm searching the magnitude of the force per unit charge not the dircetion)

And that the Force per unit length is $$ \frac{F}{L} = \frac{\sigma\lambda R}{\pi\epsilon_0 L}$$

is that right? I maybe can write the force per unit length as
$$ \frac{F}{L} = \frac{\sigma Q R}{\pi\epsilon_0} $$ where Q is the charge of the rod

I realized that I have to use ##\lambda## so forget the expression with Q
This seems to have got a bit confused. In any case, there shouldn't be an ##R## in the answer. I think your first answer was closer, as you had the correct integrand.

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/electric-field-due-to-half-cylinder.718319/

Ah damn, sorry I see now I messed up myself, it's not that simple because the force changes in direction (it is in the radial direction). I think to find the correct answer you should find the x-component of the E-field (produced by the linear charge) and integrate it through the surface of the cylinder. (the y components seem to cancel out must do a figure to show you what i mean).

I'm sorry I think I don't understand wasnt it what I did? to determine the E- fied and then integrate along the cylinder area? Could you please tell me where did I wrong?

Delta2 said:
Ah damn, sorry I see now I messed up myself, it's not that simple because the force changes in direction (it is in the radial direction). I think to find the correct answer you should find the x-component of the E-field (produced by the linear charge) and integrate it through the surface of the cylinder. (the y components seem to cancel out must do a figure to show you what i mean).
Yours was a good idea - especially if you already know the electric field of an infinite wire. That also makes it a good way to confirm the answer. Overall, you have the same integration either way.

Likes Delta2
Angela G said:
I'm sorry I think I don't understand wasnt it what I did? to determine the E- fied and then integrate along the cylinder area? Could you please tell me where did I wrong?
The factors of ##R## should have canceled in the integration: you have ##\frac 1 R## in the electric field and ##\sigma Rd\theta## in the surface charge of the cylinder.

ahh, I see I was unsure how to write #dq# due to the cylinder, ##dq = R \sigma d\theta##?
which method do yo think I should use?

Angela G said:
ahh, I see I was unsure how to write #dq# due to the cylinder, ##dq = R \sigma d\theta##?
Yes, that's the infinitesimal charge on a strip of the cylinder of unit length.

PeroK said:
Yes, that's the infinitesimal charge on a strip of the cylinder of unit length.
so, then I will not need to divide the force by L?

Angela G said:
so, then I will not need to divide the force by L?
You can introduce ##L## if you want. But, to get the force per unit length, that's going to cancel as well.

@Delta2 's idea amounts to: the force per unit length on the cylinder must be the same magnitude as the force per unit length on the wire.

so I changed dq in the integral, is my calclation correct? I mean that F is the force per unit length right?

Attachments

• 20211011_115613.jpg
    20211011_115613.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 70
Likes Delta2
Angela G said:
so I changed dq in the integral, is my calclation correct? I mean that F is the force per unit length right?
If that says ##\frac{\lambda \sigma}{\pi \epsilon_0}## then yes.

It does, Thank you everyone 😊 😊

• Love
Likes PhDeezNutz and Delta2

Related to Semi-circular cylinder and line charge

1. What is a semi-circular cylinder and line charge?

A semi-circular cylinder and line charge is a geometric shape and an electric charge distribution, respectively, used in electrostatics to model certain physical systems. A semi-circular cylinder is a 3-dimensional shape with a flat circular base and a curved surface, resembling half of a cylinder. A line charge is an infinite line of electric charges with a uniform distribution along its length.

2. What are the applications of semi-circular cylinder and line charge?

Semi-circular cylinder and line charge are commonly used in electrostatics to model systems such as charged wires, charged pipes, and charged spheres. They are also used to study the electric field and potential around these objects.

3. How do you calculate the electric field and potential of a semi-circular cylinder and line charge?

The electric field and potential of a semi-circular cylinder and line charge can be calculated using the principles of electrostatics, such as Coulomb's law and the superposition principle. The electric field is a vector quantity and can be calculated at any point in space using the formula E = kQ/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge, and r is the distance from the charge. The potential can be calculated using the formula V = kQ/r.

4. What is the difference between a semi-circular cylinder and line charge and a point charge?

The main difference between a semi-circular cylinder and line charge and a point charge is their size and distribution. A point charge is a single charge concentrated at a single point, while a semi-circular cylinder and line charge have a finite size and a uniform distribution of charge. This affects the electric field and potential calculations, as well as the overall behavior of the system.

5. Can a semi-circular cylinder and line charge have a net charge of zero?

Yes, a semi-circular cylinder and line charge can have a net charge of zero if the positive and negative charges are equally distributed. This is known as a neutral semi-circular cylinder and line charge. In this case, the electric field and potential will be zero at all points in space.