Semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Lagrangian methods to find the angular frequency of small oscillations for a uniform semicircular disk rolling without slipping on a horizontal surface. The kinetic energy of the object is found to be the sum of the translational kinetic energy of the center of mass and the rotational kinetic energy about the center of mass. Using this, the angular frequency is calculated to be ω = sqrt([8g]/[R(9π -16)]). There is also a discussion about potential energy and a correction is made to the expression for kinetic energy.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

Consider a uniform semicircular disk of radius R, which rolls without slipping on a horizontal surface. Recall that the kinetic energy of an object is the sum of the translational kinetic energy of the centre of mass (point C) and the rotational kinetic energy about the Centre of Mass.

Using Lagrangian methods, show that the angular frequency of small oscillations is

ω = sqrt([8g]/[R(9π -16)])

Homework Equations

.5mR2 = Ic + mh2 where h = 4R/3π

L = K - U

dL/dq = (d/dt)(dL/dq')

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing to do is find the center of mass of the object

so i solved for that to get (x,y) = (o, 4R/3π)

Then using that I solved for the moment which equals .5mR2

Using the parallel axis thheorem i found that

.5mR2 - mh2 = Ic

K = .5mv2 + .5Ic2

U = mghcos(∅) ( i think)

This has no R dependence so the Euler Lagrange only acts on theta and omega

problem is it's not work, so i obviously messed up on my kinetic and potential energies.

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you defining the angle φ? If it's the way I think you're doing it, the potential energy has the wrong sign.

Your expression for the kinetic energy is wrong, though I think it's just a typo. It should be
[tex]K=\frac{1}{2}mv^2 + \frac{1}{2}I_c \omega^2[/tex]You left out the ω. What is your expression for v in terms of ω?

Yeah i know i didnt transcribe it from my notes well sorry. I did manage to figure it out though. Not sure how to write out phi. Eaaier to draw it

Related to Semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations

1. What is a semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations?

A semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations refers to a type of motion or vibration in which an object moves back and forth in a semi-circle shape with small angles. It is a type of simple harmonic motion that follows a specific pattern of displacement and acceleration.

2. What causes a semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations?

The semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations is caused by a restoring force that acts in the opposite direction of the displacement of the object. This force is typically provided by a spring or elastic material, which allows the object to oscillate between two extreme positions.

3. What factors affect the period of a semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations?

The period of a semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations is affected by the mass of the object, the stiffness of the spring or elastic material, and the amplitude of the oscillations. It is also affected by any external forces or friction that may be present.

4. How is the energy of a semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations conserved?

The energy of a semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations is conserved because the object is constantly exchanging potential energy (stored in the spring or elastic material) and kinetic energy (due to its motion). As long as there is no external energy input, the total energy of the system will remain constant.

5. What are some real-life examples of semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations?

Examples of semi-circle with small angle harmonic oscillations can be found in many everyday objects, such as a pendulum, a swing, or a spring-loaded door closer. It is also commonly seen in musical instruments, such as the strings of a guitar or the keys of a piano, which vibrate in semi-circle shapes with small angles to produce sound.