Semantic question about equilibrium

• B
  • Thread starter etotheipi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Equilibrium
In summary, the concept of "static equilibrium" is typically reserved for objects that are not only not moving, but also not accelerating in any direction. However, it is possible to apply Newton's laws and analyze the forces in individual directions, and in some cases this may result in a "static equilibrium" condition in one or more directions. This term may be used to describe a situation where there is no velocity or acceleration in a particular direction, but it is not always necessary to use this term and the distinction may not be significant in practical applications. Additionally, motion confined to a plane will have zero velocity and acceleration in the direction perpendicular to that plane.
etotheipi
If a body experiences acceleration in one direction and no acceleration in another (orthogonal) direction, is it accurate to state that the body is in static equilibrium in one direction only? Or is static reserved for strictly no acceleration in any direction? Apologies if this seems pedantic!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I'd go further and say that "static equilibrium" is reserved for things that aren't moving, much less accelerating. Nonetheless, you can certainly apply Newton's law in any direction: if the acceleration in a given direction is zero, the sum of the forces in that direction will be zero. (Kind of an "equilibrium" condition, but I wouldn't call it static.)

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
Doc Al said:
I'd go further and say that "static equilibrium" is reserved for things that aren't moving, much less accelerating. Nonetheless, you can certainly apply Newton's law in any direction: if the acceleration in a given direction is zero, the sum of the forces in that direction will be zero. (Kind of an "equilibrium" condition, but I wouldn't call it static.)

I agree with everything that you say, however if for instance a ball moves across a horizontal surface in some arbitrary motion, when we consider solely the vertical direction we can still write ##y = k##, ##y' = 0## and ##y''=0##, which appears to be precisely the conditions for static equilibrium in this one dimension.

What would be the advantage of using the term static equilibrium in that case? (Though I do see your point.)

Likes etotheipi
Doc Al said:
What would be the advantage of using the term static equilibrium in that case? (Though I do see your point.)

Now that I think about it, probably none at all! To me it just seems like a succinct way of stating that there is neither velocity nor acceleration in a particular direction, which is slightly more constrained than just no acceleration.

In practice, the semantic distinction is probably not so important (i.e. common sense prevails), as you suggest!

Last edited by a moderator:
etotheipi said:
To me it just seems like a succinct way of stating that there is neither velocity nor acceleration in a particular direction, which is slightly more constrained than just no acceleration.

Are you thinking of only two spatial directions? If so, the term used for that is rectilinear motion.

Note that in general, any motion confined to a plane would have zero velocity and zero acceleration in the direction perpendicular to that plane.

• Informative
Likes etotheipi

Related to Semantic question about equilibrium

1. What is the definition of equilibrium?

Equilibrium is a state of balance or stability in a system where all the forces or factors are equal and opposite, resulting in no net change.

2. How is equilibrium achieved?

Equilibrium can be achieved through various processes such as chemical reactions, physical changes, or changes in pressure, temperature, or concentration.

3. What are the different types of equilibrium?

The three main types of equilibrium are mechanical equilibrium, thermal equilibrium, and chemical equilibrium. Mechanical equilibrium refers to a balance of forces, thermal equilibrium refers to a balance of temperature, and chemical equilibrium refers to a balance of chemical reactions.

4. What factors can disrupt equilibrium?

Equilibrium can be disrupted by changes in temperature, pressure, concentration, or the addition or removal of reactants or products in a chemical reaction.

5. How is equilibrium represented in a chemical equation?

Equilibrium in a chemical reaction is represented by a double arrow, with the reactants on the left side and the products on the right side. The direction of the arrow indicates the favored direction of the reaction at equilibrium.