Selling Things You Didn't Want to Sell

• Thread starter Drakkith
  • Start date
In summary: It pains me to do so, but I simply need the money too badly. I'm just wondering what are some things you've had to sell that you didn't want to. Things which pained you to sell, perhaps even brought a tear to your eye. Cars? Knick-knacks? Firstborns?Ack! Where do you live? I can be there in a few hours!Ack! Where do you live? I can be there in a few hours!
Drakkith
Mentor
I just finished putting all my telescopes and related equipment up for sale to help pay for bills and school. It pains me to do so, but I simply need the money too badly. I'm just wondering what are some things you've had to sell that you didn't want to. Things which pained you to sell, perhaps even brought a tear to your eye. Cars? Knick-knacks? Firstborns?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ack! Where do you live? I can be there in a few hours!

DaveC426913 said:
Ack! Where do you live? I can be there in a few hours!

Tucson, Arizona. It's a bit of a drive from Canadia Land. :biggrin:

Not for very large values of few...

Likes Drakkith
I have sold my music gear for when I really needed the money. It really sucks, but you just have to weigh out the pros and cons. Things (usually) can be purchased again, so don't worry about it so much. It can help if you sell your items to someone that you know or who will take good care of it, and just think of the benefits of why you are selling it. You can also "replace" your loss with a gain somewhere else, for example when I sold my Xone DB2 mixer for 600 Euro, I replaced it with a 20 Euro 90's video equalizer "mixing" board. I've grown very attached to my new video equalizer, tand I don't really feel I have lost anything, but more like I gained something "new". I don't waste time on what I have lost, but the new things I have gained :)

Likes Drakkith and DaveC426913
+1 mishka. I console myself that things can be purchased again, but also by trying give it away "free to good home with loving family".

I can't remember ever being in such dire straits that I had to sell something, for which I feel very fortunate. And there have been times that I have been very poor, living in two places without running water, one of them also without electricity. Even so, there are some things I've sold that I wish I still had, mostly cars.
  • '48 Ford Tudor Sedan - cost $100 (?)
  • '40 Ford Sedan Delivery - cost $250
  • '41 Chevrolet Sedan Delivery - cost $65
  • '53 Chevrolet Pickup - traded straight across for a '64 Honda CB250 motorcycle
  • '49 Ford Tudor Sedan - cost $75
  • '56 Ford Sedan Delivery - I forget the price, but probably around $300
  • '60 Chevrolet (Biscayne?) - cost $75 - not running when I looked at it, but after putting in new points ($5), I drove it away, to the chagrin of the seller
  • '60 Austin Healey Sprite - cost $600?

The way it works is, once you sell something, you can conceivably buy it back, but the price might be much higher. To get any of the vehicles listed here would likely set me back at least $10,000, and for some, maybe a lot more.

Likes Drakkith and Pepper Mint
Mark44 said:
I can't remember ever being in such dire straits that I had to sell something,

First time doing it myself. And of course everyone is right in that you can always either buy it back or buy a replacement. I hate selling my astronomy gear, but I'm not as attached to each individual piece as a musician might be to their instruments. Especially since I can buy some very good upgrades if I graduate and get an engineer's salary.

Drakkith said:
Especially since I can buy some very good upgrades

:frown: It will turn out fine. You are working towards being in the position of never having to struggle to such a degree again! You can replace the items or upgrade later on like you said. There is nothing wrong with having to sell or live below your means afterwards either. Using loans and credit cards to live comfortably like so many others is worse.

Having to get rid of things isn't always about affordability. There is such a thing as having too much of a certain item (like guns, guns, and guns or as I'm told books, books, and books). You are leaving yourself at least one right? However, I wouldn't get rid of anything that couldn't be easily replaced later on!

Likes EnumaElish and Drakkith
Drakkith said:
First time doing it myself. And of course everyone is right in that you can always either buy it back or buy a replacement. I hate selling my astronomy gear, but I'm not as attached to each individual piece as a musician might be to their instruments. Especially since I can buy some very good upgrades if I graduate and get an engineer's salary.

Oh yeah, the one piece of music gear I could never sell was my (digital) piano. It has been with me through my deepest highs and lows, that it feels like a part of me. It has lasted longer then any of my relationships at least :-p

Likes Drakkith
Drakkith said:
I just finished putting all my telescopes and related equipment up for sale to help pay for bills and school. It pains me to do so, but I simply need the money too badly. I'm just wondering what are some things you've had to sell that you didn't want to. Things which pained you to sell, perhaps even brought a tear to your eye. Cars? Knick-knacks? Firstborns?

Everything.

But, as the saying goes; "I've seen things, you people wouldn't believe..."

Better to have seen things, and lost the tools with which to see them, than to never have seen them, in the first place.

Once you retire, I'm sure that you will find really cool ****, at garage sales, that will make you very happy, that you gave up your "knick-knacks", long ago, to get to to where you wanted to be.

And, at that point, 20 years in the future, you will see a post like this, by some other sorry young soul, and say; "hmmmm... Om was right."

But, it appears you've already figured this out.

So, never mind.

Likes wirenut, Pepper Mint and Drakkith

Related to Selling Things You Didn't Want to Sell

What does it mean to "sell things you didn't want to sell"?

Selling things you didn't want to sell refers to the act of selling products or services that were not initially a part of your business plan or intended inventory. This could be due to various reasons such as unexpected demand, overstocking, or changes in market trends.

Why would someone sell things they didn't want to sell?

There are several reasons why someone might sell things they didn't want to sell. Some common reasons include the need to generate additional revenue, clearing out excess inventory, or adapting to changes in the market or consumer preferences.

What are the risks of selling things you didn't want to sell?

One of the main risks of selling things you didn't want to sell is the potential for a financial loss. If the products or services do not sell well, it could result in a loss of profits. Additionally, it may also damage your brand's reputation if the products or services are of poor quality.

How can you effectively sell things you didn't want to sell?

To effectively sell things you didn't want to sell, it is important to first understand the target market for these products or services. Conduct market research to identify potential customers and their needs. Then, develop a marketing strategy that highlights the benefits of these products or services and target the right audience through various channels.

Can selling things you didn't want to sell be beneficial for a business?

Yes, selling things you didn't want to sell can be beneficial for a business if done strategically. It can help generate additional revenue, clear out excess inventory, and attract new customers. It can also help a business adapt to changes in the market and stay competitive.