Selling price for an item with a markup and discount

• Thread starter zak100
  • Start date
In summary: Read moreIn summary, the conversation discusses how Bernie's Bargain offers a 20% discount on all items and if Bernie wants to make a 20% profit on his cost, he needs to mark up the radios he bought for $80 by a certain amount. The conversation goes on to discuss different equations and strategies to determine the selling price in order to achieve the desired profit. Ultimately, the equation sticker_price * (1 - 0.20) = $96 is provided as a solution to the problem.
zak100

Homework Statement

At Bernie’s Bargain everything is sold for 20% less than the marked price marked. If Bernie buys radios for 80$, what price should he mark them if he wants to make a 20% profit on his cost?

Homework Equations

I don’t know the equation for selling price. From Internet I got this:

SP – cost = gross margin
But this is not working:
SP -80 = 40%
SP – 0.4 = 80
0.6SP = 80
SP = 133.33
Which is wrong

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the profit on 80$.
20/100 * 80 = 16
There after adding profit to the cost we get 96$. Now I don’t know how to find the selling price in which we would adding the 20% discount also.
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
zak100 said:
There after adding profit to the cost we get 96$. Now I don’t know how to find the selling price
That is the selling price to get 20% profit on cost. The question asks, what price should he mark them if he intends to sell them at $96, and he sells everything at 20% less than the marked price?

Hi,
Is there any formula for this, specific to selling price or something related to percentage which the book has provided?

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Is there any formula for this, specific to selling price or something related to percentage which the book has provided?

Zulfi.

So, you do not know the marked price? Just call it ##x##. Now set up an equation for ##x## and solve it.

zak100 said:

Homework Statement

At Bernie’s Bargain everything is sold for 20% less than the marked price marked. If Bernie buys radios for 80$, what price should he mark them if he wants to make a 20% profit on his cost?

Homework Equations

I don’t know the equation for selling price. From Internet I got this:

SP – cost = gross margin
But this is not working:
SP -80 = 40%
SP – 0.4 = 80
0.6SP = 80
SP = 133.33
Which is wrong

The Attempt at a Solution

Calculating the profit on 80$.
20/100 * 80 = 16
There after adding profit to the cost we get 96$. Now I don’t know how to find the selling price in which we would adding the 20% discount also.
Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
Don't be concerned about finding some formula. Use reasoning.

Bernie wants to make a profit of 20% on his cost.

What is 20% of his cost ?
The answer to this is the profit he needs to make on each radio.​

Take it from there, a step at a time.

Likes Merlin3189
Hi,
I am able to find the cost + profit which is 96.
The question asks, what price should he mark them if he intends to sell them at $96
I think the question means:
The question asks, what price should he mark them if he intends to get $96. Thus the price he would mark would be greater than 96$. The mark price or selling price not known. If its greater than 96$ then we should use following:
If a number is the result of increasing another number by K% , to find original number divide by (1 + k%).
i.e x (Selling price) = 96/(1 + 0.2)
but answer is not correct. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
I am able to find the cost + profit which is 96.

I think the question means:
The question asks, what price should he mark them if he intends to get $96. Thus the price he would mark would be greater than 96$. The mark price or selling price not known. If its greater than 96$ then we should use following:
If a number is the result of increasing another number by K% , to find original number divide by (1 + k%).
i.e x (Selling price) = 96/(1 + 0.2)
but answer is not correct. Some body please guide me.

Zulfi.
You have that backwards.

Bernie marks a price so that when he takes 20% off that price, the amount he actually charges leaves him with the original cost plus the desired profit.

To make a 20% of the cost profit, the selling price needs to be $80 * (1 + 0.20) = $96. To get that selling price of $96 after a 20% discount, start with the equation sticker_price * (1 - 0.20) = selling_price = $96.

Last edited:
Likes zak100
Hi,
Thanks. You have lighted the think which i was not able to understand. According to book, to decrease a number by K% multiply it by 1-K%. But sticker_price should be greater than 96$, so why are we decreasing. Thanks for your efforts.Zulfi.

rcgldr said:
To make a 20% of the cost profit, the selling price needs to be $80 * 1.2 = $96. To get that selling price of $96 after a 20% discount, start with the equation sticker_price * (1 - 0.20) = selling_price = $96.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks. You have lighted the think which i was not able to understand. According to book, to decrease a number by K% multiply it by 1-K%. But sticker_price should be greater than 96$, so why are we decreasing. Thanks for your efforts.

Zulfi.
In the equation rcgldr gave you: sticker_price * (1 - 0.20) = $96, the sticker_price is unknown. Solve the equation for it. You are decreasing it because your customer is going to want a discount from the sticker price and you still want to get $96. Solving for the sticker price will tell you what you need to put on the price tag so that after the discount you still get $96.

Hi,
Thanks. I think, i must accept this as an answer. Thanks for your energies.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,
Thanks. I think, i must accept this as an answer. Thanks for your energies.

Zulfi.
What is your final solution to this problem? Notice that once you get an answer, you can easily check it.

We would like to see that worked out.

Hi,
Thanks for you concerns. Good. Actually I knew the answer. But I was not able to understand why were we using the formula:
If a number is the result of decreasing another number by K% , to find original number divide by (1 - k%). i.e.:
x = 96/(1-20/100)
Or what rcgldr provided:
sticker_price * (1 - 0.20) = $96
Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/selling-price-for-an-item-with-a-markup-and-discount.918917/
Replacing sticker_price by x, we have:

X * (1-0.2) = 96

X * 0.8 = 96

X = 96/0.8 *10/ 10

= 960/8 = 120

I once tried to verify the result correctly but now I forget.

Zulfi.

zak100 said:
Hi,

Replacing sticker_price by x, we have:

X * (1-0.2) = 96

X * 0.8 = 96

X = 96/0.8 *10/ 10

= 960/8 = 120

I once tried to verify the result correctly but now I forget.

Zulfi.
To verify the answer:

Sticker price: $120.

Bernie charges 80% of that, i.e. 20% off of marked price:
That's 80% of $120 is $96.​

That's a profit of $16.

$16/$80 = 0.20 → 20%

Likes zak100
Hi,
Thanks for this additional work.

God bless you.

Zulfi.

Related to Selling price for an item with a markup and discount

1. How is the selling price calculated for an item with a markup and discount?

The selling price for an item with a markup and discount is calculated by adding the markup amount to the original cost of the item, and then subtracting the discount amount from that total. The resulting number is the selling price.

2. What is a markup and how is it determined?

A markup is the percentage of profit added onto the cost of an item to determine its selling price. It is typically determined by considering factors such as production costs, market demand, and desired profit margin.

3. How do discounts affect the selling price of an item?

Discounts decrease the selling price of an item by a certain percentage or amount. This is usually done to incentivize customers to purchase the item or to clear out excess inventory. The selling price after the discount is applied will be lower than the original selling price.

4. Can a markup and discount be applied to the same item?

Yes, a markup and discount can be applied to the same item. This is known as a markdown, where the item's price is first increased with a markup, and then decreased with a discount. The final selling price may be higher or lower than the original price depending on the amounts of the markup and discount.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the markup and discount for an item?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the markup and discount for an item. These include the cost of production, market demand, competition, and seasonality. It is important to regularly review and adjust the markup and discount for an item to remain competitive and profitable.