Self teaching physics with poor math skills?

In summary, the speaker is a 20-year-old with a strong interest in cosmology and astronomy, but lacks math skills due to poor teachers and personal disinterest. They are looking for advice on how to effectively self-teach math in order to better understand topics like cosmology, astrophysics, and quantum physics. Suggestions include checking out the website mathispower4u and making sure to have a solid understanding of basic algebra and trigonometry before starting calculus. Recommended resources include Khan Academy and the book "Basic Mathematics" by Lang.
BilboBombadillo
Ahoy there.
I am twenty years old, and have (as a result of my interest in cosmology and astronomy, and the natural sciences) developed a keen appreciation for mathematics (in physics, primarily). I have always had an interest in the sciences, but lackluster teachers and personal disinterest (on account of not understanding) has left me with atrocious math skills. I imagine I would currently fail any math test given me beyond an 8th grade level - and even then I might struggle.
Unfortunately, I haven't the time to attend a college - nor do I need a degree of any kind. I am purely interested in self-betterment, and properly increasing my understanding of certain things including but not limited to: cosmology, astrophysics, quantum physics, relativity, and all that funky business (and general everyday-life-related applied mathematics, if I can slot it in there).
I need some advice as to how I ought to approach self-teaching. I have an account on Khan academy (though I'm well aware that some dislike the site), and have purchased many books on the topics that I plan to learn, but I feel it will be insufficient, as I have poor memory retention. I have started reading Kline's "CALCULUS - an intuitive and physical approach".
Can anybody provide any detailed advice specific to my situation? I'm even willing to join flexible online programs, if such things exist outside of online colleges.

TL;DR
I'm 20.
I suck at Maths, but wish to change that.
I love science, and science is whence my interest in math.
I don't have time for classes.
How do I self teach effectively?

Physics news on Phys.org
Check out the website mathispower4u. there are short videos for all math from Algebra thru Vector Calculus, Linear Algebra and Differential Equations, the basic math you'll need to gain some serious understanding of undergraduate level physics.

http://mathispower4u.yolasite.com/

You should make sure you're very comfortable with basic algebra and trig before you start calculus, especially if you plan on self teaching.

The most important thing is to get some solid skills with algebra and trigonometry down. A typical introductory physics textbook assumes at least some familiarity with differential and integral calculus, so getting to that point is the biggest thing. Khan Academy has a lot of great videos on all of the algebra and trig you'd need to get started. There doesn't tend to be a whole lot of difference between introductory algebra textbooks. Lang's 'Basic Mathematics' is a great text that covers a reasonably rigorous and in depth introduction to basic algebra and trig. A book like this accompanied with some Khan Academy videos would be a good combination.

Here's the Lang text https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387967877/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Related to Self teaching physics with poor math skills?

1. Can I teach myself physics without strong math skills?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself physics even if you have poor math skills. However, it may require more effort and dedication as math is an important aspect of understanding physics concepts. You can start by focusing on the basic mathematical principles needed for physics and gradually build your skills as you progress.

2. What are some techniques for understanding physics concepts without strong math skills?

Some techniques for understanding physics concepts without strong math skills include visual aids, real-world examples, and breaking down complex equations into simpler parts. You can also try practicing with online resources, seeking help from a tutor, or joining a study group to improve your understanding.

3. Can I excel in physics with poor math skills?

While having strong math skills can certainly make learning physics easier, it is not the only determining factor for success. With dedication, hard work, and the right approach, it is possible to excel in physics even with poor math skills. Don't let your perceived limitations hold you back from pursuing your interests.

4. Is it important to have strong math skills to understand physics theories and concepts?

Yes, having strong math skills is important for understanding physics theories and concepts. Mathematics provides the language and tools for describing and analyzing physical phenomena. However, with patience and practice, you can improve your math skills and gain a better understanding of physics concepts.

5. Are there any resources specifically designed for self-teaching physics with poor math skills?

Yes, there are many resources available online that are specifically designed for self-teaching physics with poor math skills. These resources often include visual aids, simplified explanations, and practice problems to help you understand and apply physics concepts. You can also seek help from online communities or forums for additional support and guidance.