Self Teaching: Linear Algebra?

In summary, the person has taken math courses up to calc III and wants to learn linear algebra over the summer. However, their school has a limit of 21 credits and they are unsure if they should wait for an opening in the class or learn on their own. The expert suggests that learning linear algebra on your own is doable with discipline and motivation, and recommends two textbooks for self-study.
Abraham
I've taken maths up to calc III, and want to learn linear algebra over the summer.
My school won't let me take more than 21 credits, which is what i'll be having for the next few semesters.

I'm familiar with elementary row ops, gaussian elimination, least squares, but not much else. Is learning linear algebra doable? Or should I wait till I get an opening for the class at school?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I think linear algebra is well suited to learning on your own, if you're motivated and disciplined. A good standard introductory textbook used in many undergraduate courses is

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130084514/?tag=pfamazon01-20

and depending on your interests, you may want to complement this with a Schaum's outline or some other source of exercises with solutions.

If you are interested in a more theoretically-oriented, "pure math" introduction, this is a great choice:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0387982582/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Self Teaching: Linear Algebra?

1. What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their representations in vector spaces. It involves the manipulation and analysis of matrices, vectors, and linear transformations.

2. Why is Linear Algebra important?

Linear Algebra is essential in many fields, including physics, engineering, computer science, and data analysis. It provides a foundation for understanding complex mathematical concepts and is used to solve practical problems in various industries.

3. Can I teach myself Linear Algebra?

Yes, it is possible to teach yourself Linear Algebra. However, it requires dedication, commitment, and a strong understanding of algebra and calculus. There are many online resources, textbooks, and courses available to help you learn the subject.

4. What are the basic concepts of Linear Algebra?

Some of the fundamental concepts in Linear Algebra include vectors, matrices, linear transformations, systems of linear equations, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors. It also involves topics such as vector spaces, subspaces, and bases.

5. How can I apply Linear Algebra in real life?

Linear Algebra has numerous real-life applications, such as image and signal processing, data compression, computer graphics, and machine learning. It is also used in solving optimization problems, cryptography, and network analysis.