Self Taught Abstract Mathematics Course?

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for a self-teaching course in abstract mathematics. The individual has attempted to teach themselves abstract algebra and linear algebra but struggles to find the discipline to stick with the topic. They have good intuition for understanding mathematical concepts but lack motivation to do rigorous proofs. A possible strategy is to use an online course and then explore on their own. One recommended course is Herstein's textbook with suggested problems and a potential blog for homework assignments.
Aero51
Self Taught Abstract Mathematics Course??

Good evening everyone! I would like to know if anyone has any recommendations for a self-teaching course in abstract mathematics. I have attempted to teach myself abstract algebra and linear algebra but for some reason I cannot find the discipline to stick with the topic. I find this strange because I have taught myself other subjects related to fluid mechanics and thermodynamics with little difficulty.

In general, I find that I have pretty good intuition for understanding mathematical concepts, but I cannot motivate myself to sit down and do the proofs rigorously; I tend get bored. Perhaps there is a strategy or a mindset for learning mathematics outside the classroom which I have yet to learn.

Thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
you could pace yourself using an online course amd then explore on your own as you see fit.

Here's a possible course to start with:

http://www.math.niu.edu/~beachy/abstract_algebra/study_guide/contents.html

Hi Aero51,

I am currently trying to teach myself abstract algebra over the Summer. I rented Herstein's textbook from the library and have been following this syllabus: http://www.metu.edu.tr/~pasemra/math367.html

At the bottom of the page, there are suggested problems from every chapter covered in the course. I have toyed with the idea of creating a blog with each entry being a "Homework assignment" complete with solutions to the problems given in the webpage.

Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Self Taught Abstract Mathematics Course?

What is the purpose of a self-taught abstract mathematics course?

A self-taught abstract mathematics course is designed to help individuals learn advanced mathematical concepts on their own, without the guidance of a traditional classroom setting. It allows for a more flexible and personalized learning experience.

What topics are typically covered in a self-taught abstract mathematics course?

A self-taught abstract mathematics course usually covers topics such as set theory, group theory, topology, and logic. It may also include topics like abstract algebra, number theory, and geometry.

What are the benefits of taking a self-taught abstract mathematics course?

Taking a self-taught abstract mathematics course can improve critical thinking and problem-solving skills, as well as provide a strong foundation for advanced mathematics. It also allows individuals to learn at their own pace and focus on topics that interest them.

Do I need a strong background in mathematics to take a self-taught abstract mathematics course?

While a basic understanding of mathematics is helpful, it is not necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to take a self-taught abstract mathematics course. The course is designed to introduce concepts and build upon them, so individuals with varying levels of mathematical knowledge can benefit from it.

How can I ensure I am understanding the material in a self-taught abstract mathematics course?

It is important to actively engage with the material and regularly practice solving problems. Utilizing online resources and seeking out a study group or mentor can also help with understanding and clarifying any difficult concepts.