Self Studying Math (Geometry through Calculus)

In summary: I have Geometry, Trigonometry, Intermediate Algebra, and Calculus 1 so far. Do you have any suggestions on what order to do the courses in?
Ethan Hummel
Hi I was wondering how long it would take to self study math using Khan Academy and supplement the website with a self teach book from Geometry through Calculus. I am a sophomore in high school and I am hoping to take the CLEP exams for Calculus and College Algebra after senior year. I was wondering if it would take a couple months or what and if anybody else did something similar to this, also some suggestions would be helpful. Also let's say I study about 10 hours a week. Thank you much!

Physics news on Phys.org
Estimates if learning goes well:
Geometry, 6 months minimum
Trigonometry, 4 months
Intermediate Algebra, 4 months
College Algebra or Pre-Calculus, 4 months
Calculus 1, 4 months

Total estimated time: 22 months, or about 2 years.

A good, standard textbook is needed for each course. College level, and community college books are fine, even if you are a high school student. You need though to take care of prerequisites, and do the courses about in the order listed. The "Intermediate Algebra" is listed out-of-place, and should come either before or after Geometry.

You need to be very determined and motivated to study this on your own. The effort will require studying every day, and you must be willing to review more than once.

Thankyou so much symbolipoint for responding. I do have a few more questions. How many hours a day do you suggest I study a day, and is there any possible way that I could reduce this time because that is very daunting 22 months:smile::smile:.

Ethan Hummel said:
Thankyou so much symbolipoint for responding. I do have a few more questions. How many hours a day do you suggest I study a day, and is there any possible way that I could reduce this time because that is very daunting 22 months:smile::smile:.
Do as much study as necessary to learn . Maybe you will need less than 22 months. Maybe you will need more than 22 months. You wouldn't know until you do the study and learning that you do.

As an aside, why're you trying to take CLEP exams? They aren't often accepted for credit at universities. Self studying math to self study math is in itself fine, but I'm hoping you aren't betting on actually earning college credits from these CLEP exams.

Hi Student100, the college that I would like to go to does in fact accept CLEP exams I looked on the colleges website. I also would like to self study just for the beauty of it to, and what method of sen study would you do.

Related to Self Studying Math (Geometry through Calculus)

1. How do I know if I am ready to self-study math through calculus?

The most important factor in self-studying math through calculus is having a strong foundation in algebra and trigonometry. It is also helpful to have a strong understanding of basic geometry concepts. If you feel confident in these areas, you are likely ready to begin self-studying math through calculus.

2. What resources should I use for self-studying math through calculus?

There are many resources available for self-studying math through calculus, including textbooks, online courses, and video tutorials. It is important to find resources that align with your learning style and offer clear explanations and practice problems.

3. How much time should I dedicate to self-studying math through calculus?

The amount of time needed to self-study math through calculus will vary depending on your current understanding of the subject and your learning pace. It is recommended to spend at least 1-2 hours per day consistently studying and practicing problems.

4. How can I stay motivated while self-studying math through calculus?

Self-studying math through calculus can be challenging and it is important to stay motivated. Set specific goals for yourself and track your progress. Find a study buddy or join an online study group for support and accountability. Reward yourself for reaching milestones and take breaks when needed.

5. Can I self-study math through calculus without a strong math background?

While having a strong math background is helpful, it is not necessary to self-study math through calculus. With dedication and perseverance, anyone can learn math through calculus. It may take more time and effort, but it is possible to build a strong foundation and understanding of the subject through self-study.