Self-Learning new material vs. Covering the basics

In summary, the speaker is debating on whether to review previous physics material or start learning new material for their transfer to a university physics program. They have done well in previous physics courses but feel there is still more to learn. Their professor recommends getting a head start on the new material. The speaker also mentions investigating weak areas and following their professor's advice to pre-read for the upcoming courses.
Ian Baughman
So I have been preparing to transfer into a physics program at the university from a community college. However, I am debating on whether I should go back and cover the material from my previous physics courses to build a strong foundation or if I should start learning the new material that will be covered in the courses at the university. I have done very well in all the physics classes I've taken but I still feel like there's a lot more to learn from it. My professor has recommended getting a head start on the material that I will encounter at the University so I'm not entirely sure what would be more beneficial. I was hoping you guys could shed some light on this and share what has had a larger impact in your education and understanding.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know what areas you are weak in then that would be something to investigate. I would start be rereading your exams to see where you encountered real problems and then review other questions related to it. To go back and review all your courses may just waste your time as it won't be focused enough if at all.

Next I'd follow your profs advice and preread up on the courses you'll be taking as this will prep your mind with questions and could focus your learning. Its similar to training for a race the preparation and the anticipation of the race will focus your attention better because you have the chance to get an excellent grade if you hit the course running (key point though when taking the course don't slack because things appear easy take that time to dig deeper into what's being taught to the level that you could teach it to others)/

Related to Self-Learning new material vs. Covering the basics

1. What is the difference between self-learning new material and covering the basics?

Self-learning new material refers to the process of learning new information or skills on your own, without the guidance of a teacher or formal curriculum. Covering the basics, on the other hand, involves learning the fundamental concepts or principles of a subject before moving on to more advanced material.

2. Which approach is more effective for learning?

It depends on the individual and the subject being learned. Some people may find self-learning to be more effective because they can go at their own pace and focus on areas that interest them. Others may benefit from covering the basics first, as it provides a strong foundation for building upon.

3. Can self-learning replace traditional education?

Self-learning can be a valuable supplement to traditional education, but it is unlikely to completely replace it. Traditional education provides a structured and comprehensive learning experience, while self-learning may lack certain resources and guidance.

4. How can I effectively self-learn new material?

To effectively self-learn new material, it is important to have a plan and set goals. Break down the material into smaller chunks and focus on one at a time. Utilize various resources such as online courses, textbooks, and practice exercises. Also, make sure to take breaks and review material periodically to reinforce learning.

5. Is it better to self-learn or have a teacher guide me?

This ultimately depends on your learning style and the subject being learned. Some people may thrive with self-learning, while others may benefit from the structure and guidance of a teacher. It may also be beneficial to combine both approaches for a well-rounded learning experience.