Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Self-introduction

DeusAbscondus

Jun 30, 2012
Hello, Godree here. I am 52, m, no maths background, trained as French teacher, currently retired early with loads of time and a single-minded purpose to master maths in 10 years.

On three separate occasions I have taught myself up to pre- Pre-calculus level, then time has intervened, and my brain not being what it used to be, memory has faded and I have had to come back and start at ground zero (i exaggarate only a bit)

Here I am again, learning trig identities and revising skills like completing the square to find the Vertex of a paraboola.

I have 4 to 6 hours a day to devote to maths (we say "maths", rather than "math" where I live) and I'm going to need all the help I can get.

I have two questions to begin with but I shall try to be perspicacious in my observance of the house rules and go and find appropriate places for these.

Cheers to all and good-will to all the godless; provisional trust extended to all the god-ed, though bitter experience tells me we won't get on, without wishing to prematurely foreclose on the possibility.

Godfree

daigo

Jun 27, 2012
Cheers

Jameson

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 26, 2012
Hi DeusAbscondus!

Welcome to MHB :) I think it's great you are working on developing your mathematical knowledge and you have found the right place to help you along the journey. We have members from all over the world so we're quite used to seeing spelling differences and other variations from non-American English. Our two Global Moderators are not American so they will be on your side if anyone tries to force Americanisms on you.

I look forward to seeing you around and if you have any questions please PM me or other staff members any time!

Jameson

DeusAbscondus

Jun 30, 2012
Jameson, Daigo,
Mighty friendly of you both for the howdy and welcome.
I've just spent the past 24 hours going through repeated installs and reinstalls of Ubuntu as my exclusive OS and have finally got everything back to running "schmickulous".

Now to return to maths (thx for the reminder Jameson that a "whole bunch of Americans" are in no way cultural imperialists (especially those with math-heads, I find at any rate)
Yes, it all lies before me: a steep climb, but with breathtaking, panoramic views opening up, as I scramble in the foothills of Mount Calculus.

I will be taking you up on your very generous kind offer to "PM [...you...] or other staff members any time!"

What a huge welcome door you have swung open! Very gracious and generous.

You'll be hearing from me.

Warm regs,
Godfree

Last edited: