How Do You Analyze Two-Body Scattering in Scalar Field Theory?

In summary, the conversation discusses the Lagrangian density for a self-interacting real scalar field, and the corresponding S-matrix expansion for the two-body scattering process B(p1)+B(p2) → B(p3)+B(p4). The Feynman diagram for this process is a single vertex with four lines (two incoming and two outgoing), and the matrix element is proportional to the coupling constant g. A repeat of the exercise for a Lagrangian density with a different interaction term results in a different matrix element, and the LSZ formula is used to obtain the matrix element by chopping off external propagators. Two remaining points for further understanding are the meaning of certain notation in the calculations, and how the time ordering cancels the
CAF123
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A self-interacting real scalar field ##\psi(x)## is described by the Lagrangian density ##\mathcal L = \mathcal L_o + \mathcal L_I = \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu}\psi)(\partial^{\mu}\psi) − \frac{1}{2}m^2\psi^2 − \frac{g}{4!}\psi^4 ## where g is a real coupling constant, and describes the interactions of spinless bosons, B. Write down the S-matrix expansion and identify the lowest-order normal-ordered term that gives rise to the two-body scattering process B(p1)+B(p2) → B(p3)+B(p4). Draw the Feynman diagram corresponding to this process and show that the Feynman amplitude is M = −ig.

Repeat the exercise but now for the Lagrangian ##\mathcal L = \mathcal L_o + \mathcal L_I = \frac{1}{2} (\partial_{\mu}\psi)(\partial^{\mu}\psi) − \frac{1}{2}m^2\psi^2− \frac{\lambda}{3!}\psi^3##.
(Answer: $$\mathcal M = −i\lambda^2\left( \frac{1}{ s − m^2} + \frac{1}{ t − m^2} + \frac{1}{u − m^2}\right))$$

Homework Equations

Generic S matrix expansion element $$S^{(n)} = \frac{(-i)^n}{n!} \int d^4 x_1 \dots \int d^4 x_n T(\mathcal H_I(x_1) \dots \mathcal H_I(x_n))$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Here, ##\mathcal L_I = -\frac{g}{4!}\psi^4 \Rightarrow \mathcal H_I = \frac{g}{4!}\psi^4## since there are no derivative terms. Then the lowest order term in the expansion would be $$S^{(1)} = -i \int d^4 x_1 T(\mathcal H(x_1)) = -i \int d^4 x_1 T(:\frac{g}{4!}\psi_1(x_1)\psi_2(x_1)\psi_3(x_1)\psi_4(x_1):)$$ I think it is correct and that the Feynman diagram is just a single vertex with four lines coming out of it (two incoming and two outgoing), so no propagators involved. This also makes the matrix element depend on one power of g so the answer makes sense but I am not sure how to get to ##\mathcal M## from the above expression for ##S^{(1)}##. It seems like I need to take to take the matrix element between initial and final states: ##|i\rangle = |B_1(p_1), B_2(p_2)\rangle## and ##|f\rangle = |B_3(p_3),B_4(p_4)\rangle## and deduce ##\langle i|S^{(1)}|f\rangle##

Thanks!

Likes DuckAmuck
Physics news on Phys.org
Anyone any ideas? I think for the case where ##\mathcal L_I## is proportional to ##\psi^3##(three vertex interaction) then the lowest order diagram with two body scattering corresponds to s and t channel and hence the matrix element is proportional to the coupling squared. It's just getting to the actual matrix element from the last integral I showed above that I still need to get. Thanks!

What textbook are you using? You should obtain S matrix elements from time-ordered n-point functions using the LSZ formula, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSZ_reduction_formula . Have you seen this? Or does your textbook say anything about the relation between the S matrix and time-ordered correlaters?

Hi King vitamin,
king vitamin said:
What textbook are you using? You should obtain S matrix elements from time-ordered n-point functions using the LSZ formula, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LSZ_reduction_formula . Have you seen this? Or does your textbook say anything about the relation between the S matrix and time-ordered correlaters?
I have not seen the LSZ formula yet (except in books but it is not part of the course until next semester). I've seen that to calculate matrix elements from terms in the S matrix expansion that I take the term arising from the integral for a given n in the relevant equations above and compute ##\langle f|S^{(1)}|i\rangle##, where ##|i\rangle## are the two incoming bosons and ##|f\rangle## are the two outgoing bosons?

I can write mode expansions for the scalar fields ##\psi_i(x_1)## and then split these into an annihilation piece and a creation piece which act on the initial state. So for two incoming bosons to two outgoing bosons, the matrix element is something like $$\langle f| \psi_1^{-} \psi_2^{-} \psi_3^{+}\psi_4^{+}|i\rangle,$$ reading from right to left, the two incoming particles are destroyed (via ##\psi_{3,4}^{+}##) and the two outgoing particles are created (via ##\psi_{1,2}^{-}##). Is that right?

There is no set textbook but I just dip into Mandl/Shaw and Schwartz

Thanks!

Schwartz has an accessible derivation of the LSZ formula fairly early on. The starting point is to write the diagrams for

[tex]
\langle f| \psi_1^{-} \psi_2^{-} \psi_3^{+}\psi_4^{+}|i\rangle = \langle 0|\psi_{out1}^{+} \psi_{out2}^{+} \psi_1^{-} \psi_2^{-} \psi_3^{+}\psi_4^{+}\psi_{in1}^{-} \psi_{in2}^{-}|0\rangle
[/tex]

where I think I'm using the same notation as you (but you might want to check it). But then the LSZ formula basically tells you to chop off the incoming and outgoing propagators, so for phi^4 theory you just get the vertex. In phi^3 theory, there is no first-order diagrams, but you can expand to second order in the coupling, and after chopping off the external propagators you still have the internal propagators, which you can see in the formula you gave in your first post.

Hi King vitamin, sorry for late reply.
king vitamin said:
Schwartz has an accessible derivation of the LSZ formula fairly early on. The starting point is to write the diagrams for

[tex]
\langle f| \psi_1^{-} \psi_2^{-} \psi_3^{+}\psi_4^{+}|i\rangle = \langle 0|\psi_{out1}^{+} \psi_{out2}^{+} \psi_1^{-} \psi_2^{-} \psi_3^{+}\psi_4^{+}\psi_{in1}^{-} \psi_{in2}^{-}|0\rangle
[/tex]

where I think I'm using the same notation as you (but you might want to check it).
I managed to get the answer but there are two things which I still have yet to understand fully:
1) What are the ##\psi_{out1}^{+} \psi_{out2}^{+}## and ##\psi_{in1}^{-} \psi_{in2}^{-}## terms you wrote above?
2) In my calculation, I had $$\langle f| S^{(1)}|i\rangle = -i\frac{g}{4!} \int d^4 x_1 \langle i| T(: \psi_1(x_1)\psi_2(x_1)\psi_3(x_1)\psi_4(x_1) :) |f \rangle$$ I think that the time ordering there somehow cancels the 4! factor at the front there, but I am not exactly sure how. Is it just a case of saying there are 4! possible time orderings giving rise to the Feynman diagram where we have one vertex and four bosonic lines attached to it?
Thanks!

Related to How Do You Analyze Two-Body Scattering in Scalar Field Theory?

1. What is a self interacting scalar field?

A self interacting scalar field is a type of field in physics that has both a magnitude and a direction. It is described by a scalar field theory, which is a mathematical framework used to study the behavior of scalar fields.

2. How is a self interacting scalar field different from other fields?

A self interacting scalar field is unique because it has the ability to interact with itself, meaning that the field's value at one point in space can affect its value at another point in space. This is in contrast to other fields, such as vector fields, which do not have this self-interaction property.

3. What are some examples of self interacting scalar fields?

One example of a self interacting scalar field is the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles mass in the Standard Model of particle physics. Another example is the inflaton field, which is thought to drive the rapid expansion of the universe during the early stages of the Big Bang.

4. How do scientists study self interacting scalar fields?

Scientists use mathematical models and equations, such as the Klein-Gordon equation, to study the behavior of self interacting scalar fields. They also conduct experiments, such as particle accelerators, to observe the effects of these fields in real-world situations.

5. What are some potential applications of self interacting scalar fields?

Self interacting scalar fields have applications in various fields of physics, including cosmology, particle physics, and condensed matter physics. They are also used in theoretical models to explain phenomena such as dark matter and the expansion of the universe.