Self-contained Egg-moving Device

• Thread starter Joseph Zambri
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device Egg
In summary, the conversation was about a physics project that required the construction of a self-contained egg moving device powered by falling masses. The device needed to move itself 1.5m, pick up an egg from a paint can, and drop it off onto a 2"x4". The project rules stated that a motor could not be used to start the device, but there were no restrictions on how the energy from the falling masses could be used. The conversation also touched on the idea of using microcontrollers and stored electrical energy to improve the device's performance, but the person did not have knowledge or experience with those concepts. The project was an individual endeavor, so partnering was not an option.
Joseph Zambri

Homework Statement

I have a project for physics that requires me to construct a self-contained egg moving device, that must use falling masses to power it. It must move itself 1.5m, then pick up an egg (in an egg cup holder) off of a standard sized paint can, then move another meter and drop the egg off onto a 2"x4".

Homework Equations

I don't actually HAVE to use any equations, I just have to build the device and explain it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am still in the brain storming stage, and am just looking for helpful ideas before making a decision on what I'm going to build. I was thinking of just attaching a string to the rear axle and then to a pulley on a tower with a weight that when dropped will propel it. My main concern is taking the egg from the height of the can and lowering it, and then dropping it off on the 2"x4". Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to try and help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Joseph Zambri said:

Homework Statement

I have a project for physics that requires me to construct a self-contained egg moving device, that must use falling masses to power it. It must move itself 1.5m, then pick up an egg (in an egg cup holder) off of a standard sized paint can, then move another meter and drop the egg off onto a 2"x4".

Homework Equations

I don't actually HAVE to use any equations, I just have to build the device and explain it.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am still in the brain storming stage, and am just looking for helpful ideas before making a decision on what I'm going to build. I was thinking of just attaching a string to the rear axle and then to a pulley on a tower with a weight that when dropped will propel it. My main concern is taking the egg from the height of the can and lowering it, and then dropping it off on the 2"x4". Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for taking the time to try and help.
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I have a very elegant solution, but it would depend on the exact rules for the contest. Can you post the exact, full project rules?

Hint -- There are different ways to use the energy supplied from a falling mass...

There weren't many rules included in the project, except the ones I've already mentioned and that we are not allowed to use a motor. There was a diagram though, and I've included that along with this.

Attachments

• physics.png
    physics.png
    11.2 KB · Views: 535
Joseph Zambri said:
There weren't many rules included in the project, except the ones I've already mentioned and that we are not allowed to use a motor. There was a diagram though, and I've included that along with this.
What do you mean by "no motor"? If there is no energy storage other than an elevated weight to start, why would they care how you convert that stored gravitational potential energy (GPE)?

I believe that if if it is initially powered with the falling mass, I can do whatever I want with the power. I just cannot start it with a motor. What did you have in mind?

Joseph Zambri said:
I believe that if if it is initially powered with the falling mass, I can do whatever I want with the power. I just cannot start it with a motor. What did you have in mind?
Have you worked with microcontrollers (uCs) like the Arduino? Do you have any experience with small electric motors?

If you could efficiently convert the energy of a suspended mass (think bowling ball starting about a meter off the ground) into stored electrical energy on a Supercapacitor, what could you do with it to make this project work really well? :smile:

I don't have any experience with microcontrollers at all. This is my first physics class in high school, so a lot of this energy conversion and storage stuff seems really cool, but WAY over my head, haha. I do know motors fairly well though, but other than that I'm not sure I could work with much else.

Joseph Zambri said:
I don't have any experience with microcontrollers at all. This is my first physics class in high school, so a lot of this energy conversion and storage stuff seems really cool, but WAY over my head, haha. I do know motors fairly well though, but other than that I'm not sure I could work with much else.
Can you partner with anybody for this project? Or is it totally an individual project?

Unfortunately it is completely individual .

Related to Self-contained Egg-moving Device

1. What is a self-contained egg-moving device?

A self-contained egg-moving device is a machine or tool designed to safely transport eggs from one location to another. It typically includes features such as padding, temperature control, and shock absorption to prevent damage to the eggs during transport.

2. How does a self-contained egg-moving device work?

A self-contained egg-moving device typically works by enclosing the eggs in a padded compartment and using a temperature-controlled environment to maintain the ideal conditions for egg transportation. Some devices may also use vibration or shock absorption technology to prevent damage to the eggs during movement.

3. What are the benefits of using a self-contained egg-moving device?

The main benefit of using a self-contained egg-moving device is that it ensures the safe transport of eggs. It can also save time and labor compared to manually transporting eggs, and may have additional features such as automatic egg counting and sorting.

4. Are there different types of self-contained egg-moving devices?

Yes, there are various types of self-contained egg-moving devices available, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Some may be designed for specific types of eggs, such as chicken or quail eggs, while others may be more versatile and able to transport a variety of egg sizes.

5. Is a self-contained egg-moving device necessary for egg transportation?

While it may not be necessary for all situations, a self-contained egg-moving device can greatly reduce the risk of damage to eggs during transportation. It may be especially beneficial for large-scale egg production and transport, where the loss of even a few eggs can have a significant impact on profits.