Selecting Lightest Wide Flange Steel Column for 450kN Load

• Thread starter Emzielou83
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Columns
In summary, the conversation is about selecting the appropriate steel column for a specific load and factors of safety. Emma is asking for help and has a printout with dimensions and properties. The responder suggests using a template and following proper formatting guidelines.
Emzielou83
Hi all,

I need some help.

Select the lightest wide flange section that can be used as a steel column 7m long tosupport an axial load of 450kN with a factor of safety of 3. Use 200MPa as the limitof elasticity, 200GPa as the modulus of elasticity and assume that the column issimply supported.

I have a printout with my assignment of universal columns dimensions and properties. I don't reall yknow what I'm supposed to be working out here.

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Emma

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, Emzielou83. There is a template you must use when you post a question. You must list relevant equations yourself, and you must show your work. Then someone might check your math. Is this a test question? Also, engineering coursework questions go https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=158") states that there should always be a space between a numeric value and its following unit symbol. E.g., 200 MPa, not 200MPa. You can see this by looking in any textbook.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Emma,

Based on the information provided, you will need to calculate the required section modulus and moment of inertia for the column to withstand the given axial load of 450kN with a factor of safety of 3. The section modulus and moment of inertia are important factors in determining the strength and stiffness of a column.

To calculate the required section modulus, you can use the formula S = M/F, where S is the section modulus, M is the bending moment, and F is the axial load. The bending moment can be calculated using the formula M = PL/4, where P is the axial load and L is the length of the column. In this case, M = (450kN)(7m)/4 = 787.5kNm. Therefore, the required section modulus is S = (787.5kNm)/(450kN) = 1.75m^3.

To calculate the required moment of inertia, you can use the formula I = (PL^2)/8, where P is the axial load and L is the length of the column. In this case, I = (450kN)(7m)^2/8 = 3937.5m^4.

Once you have calculated the required section modulus and moment of inertia, you can refer to your printout of universal columns dimensions and properties to find a suitable section that meets these requirements. It is important to keep in mind that the section modulus and moment of inertia should be equal to or greater than the required values to ensure the column can safely support the given load.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your assignment!

Related to Selecting Lightest Wide Flange Steel Column for 450kN Load

What is a wide flange steel column?

A wide flange steel column is a type of structural steel member that has a wide flange or "I" shape. It is commonly used in construction to support heavy loads and provide structural stability.

What factors should be considered when selecting a lightest wide flange steel column for a 450kN load?

When selecting a lightest wide flange steel column for a 450kN load, factors such as the column's strength, material properties, and the load's location and distribution should be considered. The column's size, shape, and length should also be taken into account.

How can I calculate the load capacity of a wide flange steel column?

The load capacity of a wide flange steel column can be calculated using engineering principles and equations, taking into account factors such as the column's size, material properties, and the type and distribution of the load. It is important to consult with a structural engineer for accurate calculations.

What is the difference between a wide flange steel column and other types of columns?

A wide flange steel column differs from other types of columns, such as HSS (hollow structural section) columns, in its shape and structural properties. Wide flange steel columns have a wider flange and are stronger and more resistant to bending than HSS columns, making them better suited for heavy loads.

Are there any safety considerations when selecting a lightest wide flange steel column for a 450kN load?

Yes, safety should always be a top consideration when selecting any structural member, including a wide flange steel column. It is important to ensure that the selected column can safely support the intended load and that it is properly installed and connected to other structural elements in the building.