Selecting Every 37th Row in LibreOffice Using OFFSET Function

• Thread starter Yaste
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Function
In summary, the conversation is about using the OFFSET function in LibreOffice to select every 37th row in a given column. The person has been searching for a solution for the past 3 hours and is frustrated. They explain their data set and ask for help on how to do it. Another person suggests setting up a column with N, 2xN, 3xN values to select the Nth values from the base data column. They also provide an example of using the OFFSET function. The person confirms that it works.
Yaste
I'm trying to use the OFFSET function in libreoffice to copy every 37th row in a given column but I am unable to do it. I've lost the last 3 hours searching all over the internet and the given answers don't seem to work on my libre-office! I'm seriously getting pissed here.

So, let's say I have a huge column of data. For example, I have data going from H5 to H2000. I want to select every 35th value. That is, I want the H40, H75, H110, so forth and so on. How do I go about doing that?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Here's what I came up with:

Set up a column with N, 2xN, 3xN... values in consecutive cells. These are the Nth values to take from your base data column. So just put 35 (or whatever you need) in the first row, 2x35 in the next one, and drag the two down to fill as many as you need.

Set a column for your output values with the first cell:
OFFSET ($H$5;Q1;0)
Drag the first OFFSET function down.
e.g.:
Capture.PNG

Taking every second value from the A column and displaying it in the C column.
(the function displayed is OFFSET, just in another language)
Does this work?

Likes Yaste
@Bandersnatch thank you. That does work :P

Related to Selecting Every 37th Row in LibreOffice Using OFFSET Function

What is the OFFSET function in Libreoffice?

The OFFSET function in Libreoffice is a formula that allows you to reference a cell or range of cells that is a specified number of rows and columns away from a starting point.

How do I use the OFFSET function in Libreoffice?

To use the OFFSET function, you need to enter the formula in a cell and specify the starting cell, the number of rows and columns to offset, and the number of rows and columns in the reference range. For example, the formula =OFFSET(A1,2,3,4,5) would return a range of 4 rows and 5 columns starting from the cell 2 rows below and 3 columns to the right of cell A1.

What are the advantages of using the OFFSET function?

The OFFSET function allows you to create dynamic ranges in your spreadsheet, meaning that the range will automatically adjust if you add or delete rows and columns. This makes it useful for creating charts and tables that need to be constantly updated.

What are the limitations of the OFFSET function?

One limitation of the OFFSET function is that it can slow down the performance of your spreadsheet, especially if you have a large number of OFFSET formulas. It also does not work well with data that is constantly changing, as it may cause errors or incorrect results.

Are there any alternatives to the OFFSET function in Libreoffice?

Yes, there are alternative functions in Libreoffice such as INDEX and INDIRECT that can also be used to create dynamic ranges. However, these functions may have different syntax and limitations, so it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs.