Selecting a class for my Math Minor

• Programs
  • Thread starter tatiana_eggs
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class Minor
In summary, the speaker is seeking input on which course would best support their Physics major and has narrowed down a list of options. The necessary courses are MAS 4156 - Vector Calculus, MAP 5345 - Applied Partial Differential Equations, and MAA 4402 - Complex Variables, while other courses may also be useful. The speaker and other participants suggest Complex Variables as the top choice.
tatiana_eggs
Hey all,

Which of these do you feel would best support my Physics major? I've satisfied all other requirements for my math minor except for one elective. I was thinking Vector Calculus. I am also able (with approval) to take any of the 5000 level classes listed below. Any input is appreciated.

COP 4313 — Symbolic Computations in Mathematics (3)
MAA 4211 — Intermediate Analysis I (4)
MAA 4212 — Intermediate Analysis II (3)
MAA 4402 — Complex Variables (3)
MAD 4401 — Numerical Analysis (3)
MAD 4504 — Theory of Computation (3)
MAD 5305 — Introduction to Graph Theory (3)
[STRIKE]MAP 2302 — Differential Equations (3[/STRIKE])
MAP 5345 — Applied Partial Differential Equations (3)
MAP 5407 — Methods of Applied Mathematics (3)
MAS 4156 — Vector Calculus (4)
MAS 4301 — Elementary Abstract Algebra (3)
MAS 5215 — Number Theory (3)
MHF 4403 — Early History of Mathematics (3)
MHF 4406 — History of Modern Mathematics (3)
MTG 4214 — Modern Geometry (3)
MTG 4302 — Introduction to Topology (3)
STA 4321 — Essentials of Statistics (3)
STA 4442 — Introduction to Probability (3)

Physics news on Phys.org
ive been told complex variables is a good one

Take them all? Clearly vector calculus is handy for physics because physics types often write equations using it.

I've tried to narrow down the selection.

The following would seem necessary (in no particular order):

The following would be nice to have, but maybe not so crucial:
MAA 4211 — Intermediate Analysis I (4)
MAD 4401 — Numerical Analysis (3)
MTG 4214 — Modern Geometry (3)

Thank you guys!

I'll just say that qspeech has a pretty good list, and will second it. I would guess Methods of Applied Mathematics also might be useful based on the name, but you would want to check what they actually do in it

I third qspeechc's necessary list. The vector calculus course is a must have. I'm guessing it's more advanced vector calculus because of its course number and the fact that you haven't taken it yet, but being advanced should make it that much more useful to you.

qspeechc said:
I've tried to narrow down the selection.

The following would seem necessary (in no particular order):

i fourth that.

But if i had to pick one course, i would say Complex Variables. Many universities recommend it.

Related to Selecting a class for my Math Minor

1. What are the requirements for a Math Minor?

The specific requirements for a Math Minor may vary depending on the university or institution. Generally, it involves completing a certain number of math courses, usually 4-6, with a minimum grade point average (GPA) in those courses. It is important to check with your academic advisor or the math department at your institution for the specific requirements.

2. Can I choose any math courses for my Minor?

In most cases, there will be a list of approved courses for a Math Minor that you can choose from. These courses may cover various topics in math such as algebra, calculus, statistics, and discrete mathematics. Some institutions may also allow you to select courses from other related fields, such as computer science or engineering, as long as they have a strong focus on mathematics.

3. Do I need to have a strong background in math to pursue a Minor?

While having a strong foundation in math can certainly be helpful, it is not always a requirement for a Math Minor. Depending on the institution, there may be introductory math courses available to help students build their skills before moving on to more advanced topics. It is important to assess your own abilities and talk to your academic advisor to determine if a Math Minor is a good fit for you.

4. How will a Math Minor benefit me?

A Math Minor can provide a variety of benefits, depending on your academic and career goals. It can help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in many fields. It can also enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for jobs or graduate programs that require a strong math background. Additionally, studying math can be intellectually rewarding and enjoyable for many individuals.

5. Can I pursue a Math Minor alongside another major or Minor?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Math Minor alongside another major or Minor. However, it is important to carefully plan your course schedule to ensure that you can fulfill all the requirements for both programs. It may also be helpful to consult with your academic advisor to discuss any potential conflicts or challenges in your course load.