Seismic Wave Movement: Calculating Distance w/ Density & Force

In summary, the conversation revolves around determining the distance a seismic wave would travel in a medium when hit by a hammer. It is mentioned that knowing the density of the rock and the force of the hammer is not enough, and more factors such as the attenuation coefficient of the medium and numerical simulations are needed. The speaker acknowledges that they have a lot of work to do and thanks the other person for their response.
Paul G.
Is there a formula I could use to determine how far in a medium a seismic wave would move if I hit one end of it with a hammer? I know the density of the rock and the force of the hammer.

Physics news on Phys.org
You wil need to know a lot more than that. And probably you don't actualy know even the force of the hammer. Rather the energy or momentum of the hammer before hitting.
You will need the atenuation coefficient of the medium for the frquency range produced by your hammer hitting the medium. And probably numrical simulation of both the excitation proces and propagation.

I guess I have my work cut out for me. I'll look into those variables.
Thanks for the response.

Related to Seismic Wave Movement: Calculating Distance w/ Density & Force

What are seismic waves?

Seismic waves are vibrations that travel through the Earth's layers, caused by natural events such as earthquakes and human activities like explosions.

How do scientists calculate the distance of seismic wave movement?

Scientists use seismometers to measure the arrival times and amplitudes of seismic waves at different locations. By analyzing this data, they can calculate the distance between the source of the wave and the seismometer.

What role does density play in seismic wave movement?

Density is the measure of how much matter is packed into a given volume. It affects the speed and direction of seismic waves as they travel through different materials. Materials with higher density, such as rocks, tend to transmit seismic waves faster than materials with lower density, such as water or air.

How does force impact seismic wave movement?

The force of an earthquake or explosion can create seismic waves that travel through the Earth. The strength of these waves can be measured through their amplitude, which is affected by the force of the source and the distance it travels.

What are some real-world applications of calculating seismic wave movement?

Calculating seismic wave movement can help scientists understand the structure of the Earth's interior and how it changes over time. It can also aid in predicting and preparing for future earthquakes and other natural disasters. Additionally, it is used in industries such as oil and gas exploration, where seismic waves are used to map underground structures and identify potential resources.