Seeking Companion Text to "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory

• Thread starter TheMathKing
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Green
In summary, the individual is seeking a more intuitive and less axiomatic book to use alongside "Real and Complex Analysis" by Rudin. They find that the Rudin book requires a lot of time and rigor to understand measure theory and are looking for a simpler companion book with pre-packaged insights. A suggested book is "The Elements of Integration and Lebesgue Measure" by Robert Bartle, which is focused on integration and measure but is more expensive and not a comprehensive analysis book.
TheMathKing
Hey, I was wondering if anybody knew a more intuitive, less axiomatic book that one could use as a companion text to the "green\papa" rudin? (Real and Complex Analysis).

I am finding that it is possible to learn measure theory from this book, but it takes a lot of time and rigor. It might be a nice exercise to build some rigor, but I am a little more rushed right now and would love a simplier companion book to get the pre-packaged insight.

Thanks a lot for any suggestions!

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

I can understand your desire for a more intuitive and less axiomatic book to accompany "Green/Papa" Rudin for measure theory. While Rudin's book is considered a classic and comprehensive text, it can be quite dense and challenging for some readers. I would recommend looking into "Measure and Integral: An Introduction to Real Analysis" by Richard L. Wheeden and Antoni Zygmund. This book presents measure theory in a more accessible and intuitive manner, with a focus on applications and examples. It also includes exercises and solutions, making it a great companion for self-study. Additionally, "Real Analysis: Measure Theory, Integration, and Hilbert Spaces" by Elias M. Stein and Rami Shakarchi is another highly recommended text for its clear and concise explanations of measure theory concepts. I hope these suggestions help and wish you success in your studies.

Related to Seeking Companion Text to "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory

1. What is the purpose of seeking a companion text for "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory?

The purpose of seeking a companion text for "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory is to have additional resources and references to aid in understanding the concepts and principles of measure theory. This can help to supplement the material covered in "Green/Papa" Rudin and provide a more comprehensive understanding of the subject.

2. How do I choose a suitable companion text for "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory?

When choosing a companion text, it is important to consider the level of detail and depth in the explanations, as well as the style and approach of the author. It is also helpful to read reviews and recommendations from other readers who have used the text for studying measure theory.

3. Can a companion text be used as a replacement for "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory?

No, a companion text should not be used as a replacement for "Green/Papa" Rudin. It should be used as a supplement to enhance understanding and provide additional explanations and examples. "Green/Papa" Rudin is still considered the primary text for studying measure theory.

4. Are there any specific topics or areas covered in "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory that a companion text can help with?

Yes, a companion text can be particularly helpful for topics that may be more challenging or require further explanation. This could include topics such as Lebesgue integration, the Radon-Nikodym theorem, or product measures.

5. Are there any recommended companion texts for "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory?

There are many companion texts available for "Green/Papa" Rudin for Measure Theory, and the best one may vary based on individual preferences. Some popular options include "Real Analysis: Modern Techniques and Their Applications" by Gerald Folland and "Measure and Integration: A Concise Introduction to Real Analysis" by Leonard F. Richardson.