Seeking Advice on Proximity Magnetic Switch Use

In summary: If you are using a 10 watt bulb, then you will get a voltage spike and possibly an arc. Use a 1 ohm resistor to avoid these issues.
ramonegumpert
Dear Gurus,

I have a doubt about switches.
I have a proximity magnetic switch i used to switch on and off a circuit.
I wonder would there be arching or spikes or current surges when the switch is switched on and off repeatedly ? My circuit has resistors to limit the current. Will switching on and off cause current surges that can damage the low current circuit components? Or is it that the resistors is sufficient to protect the circuit?

Seeking your advice.

sincerely
Ramone

Engineering news on Phys.org
If your switch is on the primary of a transformer or other inductive device, you can get voltage spikes and sometimes arcs. If the switch is directly coupled to a capacitor without a series current-limiting resistor, you can get current surges. If the switch is in series with an incandescent lamp, you can still get a surge due to the low resistance of a cold filament. A pure resistive load is ok as long as it is within the switch's voltage and current rating.
Bob S

It really doesn't have anything to do with surge but "switch bounce" can be a problem with analog and digital circuits that are fast enough to see the bounce. When you close a switch, the momentum of the contact coming closed can cause it to reopen/bounce. I've seen switch that will bounce open and closed several times before finally settling down.

Dear Bob and Don , thank you so much for giving me advice.

The device to blink is a 10Watts filament bulb.
So, I gather from the forum is that for such a mechanical switch, arcs can occur.
I assume that by arcs (like lightning) implies more current than necessary will flow through the circuit requiring a resistor to protect the circuit.

Should I be using a greater than 10 watts resistor, of say 1 ohm, or just a 10watts or lower resistor, of say 1 ohm to handle the arcing/surge?

If LEDs were used, would using flashing circuits that uses a combination of 555 timers, capacitor ad resistors be able to avoid current surges that could damage the LEDs?

sincerely
Ramone

Last edited:

Related to Seeking Advice on Proximity Magnetic Switch Use

1. What is a proximity magnetic switch?

A proximity magnetic switch is a type of sensor that uses a magnetic field to detect the presence of nearby objects. When an object enters the magnetic field, the switch is triggered and signals the appropriate action to be taken.

2. How does a proximity magnetic switch work?

A proximity magnetic switch works by using a permanent magnet or an electromagnet to create a magnetic field. When an object enters this field, it alters the magnetic flux and triggers the switch to send a signal, such as opening or closing a circuit.

3. What are the common uses for proximity magnetic switches?

Proximity magnetic switches have a wide range of applications, such as in security systems, industrial machinery, and automotive sensors. They are also commonly used in household appliances, such as washing machines, to detect the position of the door or lid.

4. What are the advantages of using a proximity magnetic switch?

One of the main advantages of proximity magnetic switches is their non-contact operation, meaning they do not require physical contact with the object being sensed. They also have a long lifespan, high reliability, and are not affected by environmental factors such as dust or moisture.

5. What factors should be considered when choosing a proximity magnetic switch?

When selecting a proximity magnetic switch, factors to consider include the required sensing range, the type of output (analog or digital), the operating voltage and current, and the environment in which it will be used. It is also important to consider the level of precision and sensitivity needed for the application.