Seeking a Recommendation for C++ Book

In summary, the individual is seeking guidance on learning the C++ programming language for their upcoming research in theoretical computing and cryptography. They prefer to learn from books rather than online sources and are looking for recommendations for an introductory level book and a more advanced and referencing book. The suggested books are "C++ How To Program" by Dietels for an introductory level and "C++ Primer" by Stanley Lippman for intermediate level. It is advised to avoid starting with Bjarne Stroustrup's book as it is more suitable for intermediate and advanced learners.
bacte2013
Dear Physics Forum advisers,

I am trying to learn the C++ programming language as I need it for my upcoming research in the theoretical computing and cryptography. This is my first time learning the programming language so I am seeking two books (I prefer to learn from the books than using online sources), one covering C++ in the introductory level and one as a detailed, advanced, and referencing book. Could help me?

PK

Physics news on Phys.org
For the reference book: Bjarne Stroustrup's "The C++ Programming Language", most recent edition.

Likes gillouche
The best introductory C++ book would be C++ How To Program By Dietels.
After finishing it, go for C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman. It will drive you to the intermediate level.

DO NOT ever think about starting with Bjarne Stroustrup's book, it is an intermediate/advanced book, and it will drive you crazy if you start with it.

Related to Seeking a Recommendation for C++ Book

1. What is the best C++ book for beginners?

The best C++ book for beginners is "C++ Primer" by Stanley Lippman, Josée Lajoie, and Barbara E. Moo. It provides a comprehensive introduction to the language and covers key concepts and features in a clear and concise manner.

2. Are there any C++ books specifically for game development?

Yes, there are several C++ books focused on game development, such as "Beginning C++ Through Game Programming" by Michael Dawson and "Game Programming in C++: Creating 3D Games" by Sanjay Madhav. These books cover the basics of C++ and how to apply them to game development.

3. Is there a C++ book that covers advanced topics?

Yes, "Effective Modern C++" by Scott Meyers is a great choice for those looking to delve into more advanced topics in C++. It covers topics such as move semantics, lambda expressions, and concurrency in a clear and practical manner.

4. Are there any C++ books with exercises or projects for practice?

Yes, "Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++" by Bjarne Stroustrup includes numerous exercises and projects throughout the book to help readers apply their knowledge and improve their skills in C++. Additionally, "C++ Primer Plus" by Stephen Prata includes practice exercises at the end of each chapter.

5. Can you recommend a C++ book for those with prior programming experience?

"Accelerated C++: Practical Programming by Example" by Andrew Koenig and Barbara E. Moo is a great choice for those with prior programming experience. It assumes some familiarity with programming concepts and focuses on teaching C++ through practical examples and exercises.