Help Bruno Clear 500MB of Temp Files

• Thread starter kuengb
  • Start date
In summary, Bruno suggests clearing your internet cache to speed up page loading. Disk cleanup also can be done to remove unnecessary files.
kuengb
I hope you don't mind if I use the Software forum to ask for help with my PC. I'm sure someone can help me.

I have just detected that there are over 500 MB in my "Temporary Internet Files" folder, but by whatever reason none of the files is displayed in the Windows explorer. So, how can I delete them? (It's getting hot since I've only got 5MB left on C: :eek: )

Thanks for help
Bruno

Computer science news on Phys.org
Go into Internet Explorer, then do tools->internet options. There should be a button in the window that pops up that clears your temporary Internet Files

Or go to start->find and type in *.tmp

It will find all your temporary files, which you can then delete.. just know that if after that some software doesn't start anymore, it was installed in that folder and got deleted.. maybe you want to skim through before.. it happened to me once with software driving the scanner of my dad's computer, I reinstalled it for him though :)

Duh Monique, that's why you do it through Internet Explorer.

Monique said:
Or go to start->find and type in *.tmp

It will find all your temporary files, which you can then delete.. just know that if after that some software doesn't start anymore, it was installed in that folder and got deleted.. maybe you want to skim through before.. it happened to me once with software driving the scanner of my dad's computer, I reinstalled it for him though :)
What kuengb wanted to do was clear his internet cache files. That is easily done the way dduardo explained, assuming kuengb is using IE.

What Monique was referring to is the cleaning of the temp files associated with Windows. Temp files are used by Windows to operate faster. Normally Windows gets rid of them when you close down the program. But if your machine locks up they can be left behind. The ONLY way to PROPERLY get rid of them is from OUTSIDE Windows. This is because there should be none in use when you boot into the DOS Mode and removing any that exist will not cause any problems.

Some of the newer operating systems do an automatic clean up, so it is no longer an issue.

If you do it inside Windows, which is what Monique showed, you need to watch for prompts. If a file is associated with a working program it will usually ask if you *really* want to delete it, just say no, then you won't risk disabling something you need. It will continue to delete all other temp files.

Last edited:
Another way is to run Disk Cleanup.

dduardo said:
Duh Monique, that's why you do it through Internet Explorer.
Ok, I missed that he was talking about Internet files.. but the .tmp files can get really huge too, as were in that computer at the time. I was told it doesn't hurt to delete them.

Thank you all!

Dduardo, that worked perfectly. So easy - should have thought of something like that myself (I'm mostly using Netscape, to my excuse).

And ShawnD, I ran disk cleanup several times (Windows forced me to), and it actually said that it would clean temp. int. files, but it obviously didn't. Strange thing.

I'm really asking myself why Windows hoards all this internet data; guess that's a relict from the time when most of the people still were using 56k-modems, not?

Bruno

kuengb said:
I'm really asking myself why Windows hoards all this internet data; guess that's a relict from the time when most of the people still were using 56k-modems, not?

Actually it's so pages load over 90% faster. You can test it yourself if you want to. Make sure cache is enabled.
Go to http://www.battle.net/diablo2exp/ [Broken] site and see how long it takes to load.
Exit IE.
Open that same page again and see how long it takes to load.
Turn off internet cache.
Exit IE.
Open the same page again and see how long it takes to load.

With cache on, the first time opening that page should take about 5-10 seconds, and the second time opening that page should take about 1 second.
With cache off, every time will take 5-10 seconds.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. How do I know if I have 500MB of temp files on my computer?

There are a few different ways to check the amount of temporary files on your computer. You can use a disk cleanup tool or go to your computer's settings and check the storage usage. You can also manually navigate to the temporary file folder and check the file size.

2. Why is it important to clear temporary files?

Temporary files are created by various programs and processes on your computer and can take up a significant amount of storage space. Clearing these files can help improve your computer's performance and free up space for other files.

3. Will clearing temporary files delete any important data?

No, clearing temporary files will not delete any important data on your computer. These files are created for temporary use and can be safely deleted without affecting your personal files or programs.

4. How often should I clear temporary files?

It is recommended to clear temporary files on a regular basis, especially if you use your computer frequently. This can help prevent a buildup of unnecessary files and maintain your computer's performance.

5. Is there a way to automatically clear temporary files?

Yes, there are various disk cleanup tools and programs that can be set to automatically clear temporary files on a scheduled basis. You can also use your computer's built-in storage management settings to automatically clear temporary files.