Seeing Uranus - Two Nights of Celestial Wonders

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter Andy Resnick
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uranus
In summary: That's how I felt many years ago when I built a 6" Newtonian and first saw the rings of Saturn.This may be ignorance on my part: why do some background objects (in the "plane" of what I take to be the moons) suddenly appear at 11pm? I assume exposure time...If I am looking at the same dots, those are stars- you can barely see them in the other image. I tweaked both images before posting, one was originally a jpg and the other originally raw, so there's some nonuniformity there.Wow, that's really neat to see! It's amazing how much more information you can get out of an image
Andy Resnick
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
Sorry for the title, I just can't help myself :)

Anyhow, here's shots from 2 consecutive nights- you can even see 3 moons, probably Titania, Oberon, and Ariel:

DSC_6673_crop_zpsltmnkebl.jpg

(10/10/16 at 11pm)

DSC_6696_crop_zpsi1e6rlf3.jpg

(10/11/16 at 10:40 pm)

Deets: 800/5.6, 8", ISO 2000. Non-bleached images (not shown) were taken at 1", ISO 100.

Likes Fervent Freyja, 1oldman2, DennisN and 4 others
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Wooo! That's how I felt many years ago when I built a 6" Newtonian and first saw the rings of Saturn.

This may be ignorance on my part: why do some background objects (in the "plane" of what I take to be the moons) suddenly appear at 11pm? I assume exposure time...

Likes Fervent Freyja and hsdrop
jim mcnamara said:
Wooo! That's how I felt many years ago when I built a 6" Newtonian and first saw the rings of Saturn.

This may be ignorance on my part: why do some background objects (in the "plane" of what I take to be the moons) suddenly appear at 11pm? I assume exposure time...

If I am looking at the same dots, those are stars- you can barely see them in the other image. I tweaked both images before posting, one was originally a jpg and the other originally raw, so there's some nonuniformity there.

jim mcnamara said:

you know i think i geeked out for almost a week each for Jupiter and saturn throw my little 4.5 in

Likes Andy Resnick
Andy Resnick said:

Anyhow, here's shots from 2 consecutive nights- you can even see 3 moons, probably Titania, Oberon, and Ariel:

great shots, Andy :smile: pity that the longer exposing to bring out the moons has caused the loss of the nice blue/green colour of the planet

It was only around 4-5 yrs ago that I saw Uranus for the first time through my own scope
The only other time was around 25 yrs ago through my mates scope, back in New Zealand

I really have to try and add Neptune to the collection one dayDave

davenn said:
great shots, Andy :smile: pity that the longer exposing to bring out the moons has caused the loss of the nice blue/green colour of the planet

It was only around 4-5 yrs ago that I saw Uranus for the first time through my own scope
The only other time was around 25 yrs ago through my mates scope, back in New Zealand

I really have to try and add Neptune to the collection one dayDave

Thanks- I have some properly exposed shots of the planet (it really is a nice blue-green), but there's not enough space to cut-n-paste it in without blotting out one of the moons. Neptune is also on my to-do list, and maybe Pluto...

Edit- hey! Neptune is very close to Uranus right now... tonight it's cloudy and Neptune is almost directly next to the moon, but within a week (so the moon is a bit away) it should be 'easy' to locate. Stay tuned...

Likes davenn
Andy Resnick said:
This helpful hint from, http://nineplanets.org/uranus.html :wink: (Nice shots by the way)
Careful pronunciation may be necessary to avoid embarrassment; say "YOOR a nus" , not "your anus" or "urine us".

Likes Andy Resnick and davenn
Andy Resnick said:

Deets: 800/5.6, 8", ISO 2000. Non-bleached images (not shown) were taken at 1", ISO 100.
Nice work, but I'm not quite understanding your setup: were those single shots from a DSLR and telephoto lens? Or a telescope? Must have been on an equatorial/motorized mount, right...?

russ_watters said:
Nice work, but I'm not quite understanding your setup: were those single shots from a DSLR and telephoto lens? Or a telescope? Must have been on an equatorial/motorized mount, right...?

yes, cropped single shots with a DSLR and telephoto lens. The lens has a tripod mounting foot that I attach to an equatorial mount.

Likes russ_watters
davenn said:

Here's the composite, I left the bright star in the crop:
DSC_6696-1_zpsuyno9pan.jpg

Likes DennisN and davenn
Andy Resnick said:
probably Titania, Oberon, and Ariel

Why those three? In particular, why Ariel? Miranda too close and Umbriel too dark?

Oh and...hehehe...he said "Uranus!" (couldn't resist either)

Andy Resnick said:
yes, cropped single shots with a DSLR and telephoto lens. The lens has a tripod mounting foot that I attach to an equatorial mount.
Impressive.

Vanadium 50 said:
Why those three? In particular, why Ariel? Miranda too close and Umbriel too dark?

Those three moons are the brightest, is all. I have no idea which moons they really are.

Related to Seeing Uranus - Two Nights of Celestial Wonders

1. What exactly is "Seeing Uranus - Two Nights of Celestial Wonders"?

"Seeing Uranus - Two Nights of Celestial Wonders" is a special event that provides an opportunity for people to view the planet Uranus through a telescope on two different nights. It is a chance to observe the planet and its unique features in more detail than can usually be seen with the naked eye.

2. When and where is this event taking place?

This event typically takes place on two specific nights, usually during the fall or winter months when Uranus is visible in the night sky. The exact date and location may vary depending on your specific location, so it is best to check with your local astronomy club or observatory for more information.

3. Do I need any special equipment to participate in this event?

No, you do not need any special equipment to participate in "Seeing Uranus - Two Nights of Celestial Wonders". The event will provide a telescope for viewing Uranus and any other necessary equipment. However, if you have your own telescope or binoculars, you are welcome to bring them along.

4. Can anyone attend this event?

Yes, this event is open to anyone who is interested in learning more about Uranus and observing it through a telescope. It is suitable for all ages, but children must be accompanied by an adult. No prior knowledge or experience in astronomy is required.

5. What can I expect to see during this event?

During "Seeing Uranus - Two Nights of Celestial Wonders", you can expect to see the planet Uranus and its unique features, such as its rings and moons, through a telescope. You may also have the opportunity to see other celestial objects, such as stars and galaxies, depending on the location and conditions of the event.