Securing a 3D Frame: How to Analyze and Solve for Loads?

• Thread starter epheterson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Frame
In summary, the user is trying to solve a three dimensional statics problem and is having trouble due to the lack of information provided.
epheterson
Hey all,
I'm working on an experiment and we have a frame which will be exposed to loads in all directions. I'm trying to analyze how to best secure it and am having trouble considering the 3D analysis, while the 2D analysis seems rather simple to me. I was informed the 2D analysis is insufficient, though, and must consider 3D. I believe when I enter the 3rd dimension I introduce a statically indeterminate system.
I've attached my FBD's and initial 2D equations, could you please guide me in making these 3D. The lateral 2G load especially needs to be considered in 3D. I've created the vectors necessary, but can't find a valid solution. My moment equation was about the CG and included only these two cables, when I tried to solve with my TI-89 titanium it said false :frown:.

r4_=[39,12,3] inches (vector from CG to T4 connection)
r5_=[-21,12,3] inches (vector from CG to T5 connection)
T4_=T4*[-.98,.098,-.172]
T5_=T5*[.98,.098,-.172]

I'll be putting this together in Abaqus while waiting for your comments. Halp!

Attachments

• Floor Attachment Analysis.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 334
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
No takers? It seems like a simple 3D statics problem, I just haven't had statics in a while.

Y'all are lame.

Dude I need numbers, and 4 is not enough.

rcgldr, I don't like you. You don't read. I had already figured out how I was attaching it, and needed magnitudes of the tension in the cables. Both of your posts were useless to me.

The correct answer was to simply add the third direction to my moment equation, I'm done now.

Mod, please close this forum.

Sorry, I couldn't download the pdf file the first time I tried, so I was just guessing at what you wanted since no one else responded. I tried and again and was able to see the pdf file, so I understand you question now, but you've already solved it.

It's cool I appreciate your comments. I've never seen this board so mute with such a simple question. Probably a TL;DR situation.

Related to Securing a 3D Frame: How to Analyze and Solve for Loads?

1. How do straps help stabilize a frame?

Straps are used to secure a frame in place and prevent it from shifting or tipping over. By attaching straps to different points on the frame and anchoring them to a stable base, the straps distribute the weight and forces evenly, keeping the frame stable.

2. What types of frames can be stabilized with straps?

Straps can be used to stabilize various types of frames, including furniture frames, picture frames, and even large structures like tents or scaffolding. As long as there are points on the frame where the straps can be attached, they can be used for stabilization.

3. How do I choose the right type of straps for stabilizing a frame?

The type of straps you choose will depend on the weight and size of the frame you are stabilizing. For smaller frames, a simple nylon strap may suffice, but for larger or heavier frames, you may need heavier-duty straps made of materials like polyester or steel.

4. Can I use straps to stabilize a frame on uneven ground?

Yes, straps can be used to stabilize a frame on uneven ground. However, you may need to adjust the length of the straps or use additional support, such as stakes or blocks, to ensure the frame is level and secure.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when stabilizing a frame with straps?

Yes, it is important to follow safety precautions when stabilizing a frame with straps. Make sure the straps are securely attached to the frame and the base, and check them regularly for any signs of wear or damage. Also, be careful when tensioning the straps to avoid injury.

Back