Second Tonga shockwave - why a drop in the pressure?

In summary, the conversation discusses a pressure spike recorded by a weather station in Poland after the Tonga eruption. The timing and distance of the spikes correspond with the expected propagation of the shockwave with the speed of sound. However, there is uncertainty about the first event being the shockwave propagating from the epicenter and the second event being the shockwave traveling around the globe back to the Pacific. Similar patterns were observed in other places around the world at similar times. The conversation also considers the possibility of the second event being a negative spike caused by a gas explosion or a superheated groundwater steam explosion. Overall, the conversation explores different theories and explanations for the changes in pressure recorded during and after the eruption.
caz said:
5) Given that the wave does not know which direction it is traveling along the great circle, there should not be a sign difference.
That is true of the pressure profile due to the wave. You'd expect the same shape, gradually smoothed out. But that is exactly what my explanation covers, in that it says that the observed changes in this case were primarily due to the way in which air had been shifted by the wave going past, not by the wave itself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Jonathan Scott said:
That is true of the pressure profile due to the wave. You'd expect the same shape, gradually smoothed out. But that is exactly what my explanation covers, in that it says that the observed changes in this case were primarily due to the way in which air had been shifted by the wave going past, not by the wave itself.
The negative phase of the wave does what you are proposing. According to your theory, at the antipode you would not get a signal which I really do not believe.

caz said:
The negative phase of the wave does what you are proposing.
It would be too much of a coincidence for the timing of the negative phase of the initial wave to match the time at the which the original wave reached the observation point the long way round.

caz said:
According to your theory, at the antipode you would not get a signal which I really do not believe.
No, the change of circumference effect would be minimal at the half way point, at the maximum radius. The effects near the antipode would be a maximum either way if the wave arrived in synchronization, but it seems more likely to arrive at different times from different directions.

And it's quite likely that near the antipode the intensity of the original pressure wave would build up enough to be visible again, depending on how well synchronized it was on arrival.

Likes Orthoceras
Have there been any reports of the antipodean tea cups rattling in southern Algeria, 165 km SSW of Tamanrasset ?

Probably there are no meteorologists at the antinode in the Sahara. However, the other convergence point of the pressure wave, Tonga, has a Meteorological Service. Maybe a barographic recording of the pressure wave after traveling around the world survived.

Borek said:
d_pressure-png.png

But why is the second event a drop in the pressure? I expected it to be a spike as well, not a drop.
If you correct for the ambient pressure dropping between 01:00 and 04:00, there seems to be a small spike around 02:00, before the drop around 03:00. Looks similar to what was observed at Perth, below:

tonga-australia-png.png

The separation in time of peak positive to peak negative increases with distance.
Norfolk Island ½ hour. Warsaw 1 hour.
It appears that the condensation depression is propagating slower than the pressure peak.

A.T. said:
If you correct for the ambient pressure dropping between 01:00 and 04:00, there seems to be a small spike around 02:00, before the drop around 03:00. Looks similar to what was observed at Perth, below:

But its arrival is not consistent with the time/speed/distance (unless they can be attributed to the weather changes over the path, and fact that the drop comes to me precisely at the time it is expected from the simple distance/speed estimate, is purely accidental).

Borek said:
But its arrival is not consistent with the time/speed/distance (unless they can be attributed to the weather changes over the path, and fact that the drop comes to me precisely at the time it is expected from the simple distance/speed estimate, is purely accidental).
I see what you mean. It would help to have more data from Europe for comparison, like we have for Australia above.

I've seen quite a few similar graphs from weather stations around the UK. Here's an example containing two such graphs:

Four results from Swiss weather stations some way down this page:
https://www.eumetsat.int/hunga-tonga-hunga-haapai_2022
These are interesting. The timing at the different stations clearly shows that the first wave is coming from the north and the second from the south. The second wave is more similar in shape to the first than in the UK and Poland, with a clear upwards start, but still seems to show a more negative bias overall than the first.

Given that Switzerland is about 1000km closer to the antipode, one might expect the original pressure wave to be intensified somewhat by the smaller circumference of the wave.

Jonathan Scott said:
Four results from Swiss weather stations some way down this page:
https://www.eumetsat.int/hunga-tonga-hunga-haapai_2022
These are interesting. The timing at the different stations clearly shows that the first wave is coming from the north and the second from the south. The second wave is more similar in shape to the first than in the UK and Poland, with a clear upwards start, but still seems to show a more negative bias overall than the first.
Here the image:

20220115_pressureNSCH.jpg

The weak spike in Warsaw I noticed before seems to be at the same time as the clear spike in Switzerland (02:00 Warsaw time, 01:00 UTC). So it cannot be the same wave, because the drop has a clear delay between Switzerland and Warsaw. And the UK data shows no spike at all.

d_pressure-png-png.png

Last edited:
Bydgoszcz (city in Poland).

Bydgoszcz.jpg