Second quantized hamiltonian change basis

In summary, the conversation discusses working on a problem involving a second quantized Hamiltonian with operators d and c0, and how to rotate the Hamiltonian so that one part is diagonalized in new operators. The context of the problem is a non-interacting Anderson model.
gonadas91
Hello everyone, I m currently working on a problem that is freaking me out a bit, suppose I have a second quantized hamiltonian:

\begin{eqnarray}
H=H_{0}+ \epsilon d^{\dagger}d + V(d{\dagger}c_{0} + h.c)
\end{eqnarray}
In terms of some new operators, I would like to rotate the hamiltonian, so that one part of it is diagonalised in the new operators, how can I do this¿ And compute the matrix elements

gonadas91 said:
\begin{eqnarray}
H=H_{0}+ \epsilon d^{\dagger}d + V(d{\dagger}c_{0} + h.c)
\end{eqnarray}
In terms of some new operators, I would like to rotate the hamiltonian, so that one part of it is diagonalised in the new operators, how can I do this¿ And compute the matrix elements
A bit more context in your question would help. (I actually started a reply when you first posted, but abandoned it because I was too short of time to guess your context.)

I'm guessing your d's are creation/annihilation operators satisfying canonical commutation relations(?). What is ##c_0##? Is there an explicit expression for ##H_0##?

Okei thanks for the reply! H0 represents a bath of conduction electrons, $d^{\dagger}$ and $d$ are fermionic operators on a impurity level, and c0 the fermionic operators at the edge of the conduction band. Its a non-interacting Anderson model. However, I could do it at the end so no help is needed, than you anyway!

Related to Second quantized hamiltonian change basis

1. What is a second quantized Hamiltonian?

A second quantized Hamiltonian is a mathematical representation of the total energy of a quantum mechanical system, taking into account the interactions between particles. It is used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of many-particle systems.

2. What does it mean to "change basis" in the second quantized Hamiltonian?

Changing basis in the second quantized Hamiltonian involves expressing the Hamiltonian in terms of a different set of basis states. This can be useful for simplifying calculations or analyzing the system from a different perspective.

3. How is the second quantized Hamiltonian different from the first quantized Hamiltonian?

The first quantized Hamiltonian is a single-particle operator that describes the energy of a single particle in a given potential. The second quantized Hamiltonian, on the other hand, takes into account the interactions between multiple particles in a system.

4. What are the benefits of using the second quantized Hamiltonian?

The second quantized Hamiltonian allows for a more efficient and elegant way to describe the behavior of many-particle systems. It also allows for the use of powerful mathematical techniques such as perturbation theory and the Feynman diagram approach.

5. How is the second quantized Hamiltonian used in practical applications?

The second quantized Hamiltonian is used in a variety of fields, including condensed matter physics, nuclear physics, and particle physics. It is used to study the behavior of complex systems, such as superconductors, and to make predictions about the properties of new materials and particles.