'second' partial derivative of a function

In summary: The only thing that makes them seem complicated is that you have to use the chain rule when you have multiple variables. In summary, the conversation is about partial derivatives and the confusion surrounding taking a second partial derivative. The example given involves an exponential term, which requires the use of the product rule when taking the partial derivative. It is important to remember the chain rule when dealing with multiple variables.
BOAS
Hello,

we haven't really covered partial differentiation in my maths course yet, but it has come up a few times in mechanics where the 'grad' operator is being introduced, so I'm trying to learn about it myself. I'm looking at the partial derivatives section in "Mathematical Methods In The Physical Sciences" book by Mary Boas.

I don't understand what is being done when a 'second' partial derivative is taken. This is the example I'm looking at;

Given $$z = f(x,y) = x^{3}y - e^{xy}$$, then

$$\frac{∂z}{∂x} = 3x^{2}y - ye^{xy}$$

$$\frac{∂z}{∂y} = x^{3} - xe^{xy}$$ (I understand this, y and then x are being regarded as constants)

it goes on to say $$\frac{∂}{∂x} \frac{∂z}{∂y} = \frac{∂^{2}z}{∂x ∂y} = 3x^2 - e^{xy} - xye^{xy}$$

I don't understand what has happened here. I thought that this means taking the partial derivative of $$\frac{∂f}{∂y}$$ with respect to $$x$$, yielding $$\frac{∂}{∂x} [x^{3} - xe^{xy}] = 3x^2 - xye^{xy}$$ but this is clearly not correct as it does not account for the extra $$-e^{xy}$$ term.

What am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for any help you can give!

p.s How do I keep my pesky latex in line?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
I don't understand what is being done when a 'second' partial derivative is taken. This is the example I'm looking at;

Given $$z = f(x,y) = x^{3}y - e^{xy}$$, then

$$\frac{∂z}{∂x} = 3x^{2}y - ye^{xy}$$

$$\frac{∂z}{∂y} = x^{3} - xe^{xy}$$ (I understand this, y and then x are being regarded as constants)

it goes on to say $$\frac{∂}{∂x} \frac{∂z}{∂y} = \frac{∂^{2}z}{∂x ∂y} = 3x^2 - e^{xy} - xye^{xy}$$

I don't understand what has happened here. I thought that this means taking the partial derivative of $$\frac{∂f}{∂y}$$ with respect to $$x$$, yielding $$\frac{∂}{∂x} [x^{3} - xe^{xy}] = 3x^2 - xye^{xy}$$ but this is clearly not correct as it does not account for the extra $$-e^{xy}$$ term.

What am I misunderstanding?

Thanks for any help you can give!

p.s How do I keep my pesky latex in line?

For the exponential term, when you take the partial derivative w.r.t. x, you must apply the product rule, since you have xy * exy.

SteamKing said:
For the exponential term, when you take the partial derivative w.r.t. x, you must apply the product rule, since you have xy * exy.

aha! In a way I'm glad it was a silly mistake like that.

Partial derivatives seem like a big deal at first, but they're actually extremely simple. Like you said, it's just differentiation with variable constants. All the normal rules of differentiation apply.

Hi there,

The 'second' partial derivative of a function refers to taking the partial derivative of the partial derivative itself. In this case, we are taking the partial derivative of the function with respect to y, and then taking the partial derivative of that result with respect to x. This is what is meant by the notation $$\frac{∂}{∂x} \frac{∂z}{∂y}$$. It is essentially a shorthand way of writing $$\frac{∂}{∂x} \left(\frac{∂z}{∂y}\right)$$.

In your example, the first step is to take the partial derivative of z with respect to y, which is $$\frac{∂z}{∂y} = x^3 - xe^{xy}$$. Then, we take the partial derivative of this result with respect to x, which gives us $$\frac{∂}{∂x} \left(\frac{∂z}{∂y}\right) = \frac{∂}{∂x} [x^3 - xe^{xy}] = 3x^2 - e^{xy} - xye^{xy}$$. This is the second partial derivative of z with respect to x and y, written as $$\frac{∂^{2}z}{∂x ∂y}$$.

I hope this helps clarify things for you. As for keeping your latex in line, you can use double dollar signs before and after your equations to make sure they are displayed properly. For example, $$x^{2}$$ will display as $$x^{2}$$.

Best of luck with your studies!

Related to 'second' partial derivative of a function

1. What is a 'second' partial derivative of a function?

A 'second' partial derivative of a function is a mathematical concept that involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to two of its variables. It is used to measure how the rate of change of a function changes as both variables change simultaneously.

2. How is a 'second' partial derivative different from a regular derivative?

A regular derivative involves taking the derivative of a function with respect to only one variable, whereas a 'second' partial derivative involves taking the derivative with respect to two variables. This allows for a more comprehensive understanding of how a function changes with respect to multiple variables.

3. What is the notation used for a 'second' partial derivative?

The notation used for a 'second' partial derivative is fxy or fyx, depending on the order in which the variables are taken. This notation is also commonly written as fxx or fyy for the second derivative with respect to the same variable.

4. How is a 'second' partial derivative calculated?

A 'second' partial derivative is calculated by taking the derivative of the first derivative with respect to the second variable. This can be done by treating the first derivative as a new function and using the same rules for finding regular derivatives.

5. In what situations is knowledge of 'second' partial derivatives useful?

Knowledge of 'second' partial derivatives is useful in many areas of science and mathematics, including calculus, physics, and engineering. It is particularly important in fields that involve multiple variables and complex functions, such as optimization and differential equations.