Second order Sigma Delta modulator

In summary, the second order sigma delta modulator is more stable than the first order modulator, but it is still unstable if the input is not linear.
solanojedi
Hi everybody,
I'm reading about sigma delta adc, the base theory. I've read about the first order modulator and now the second order, but I have a problem (maybe stupid) with a phrase of my book (Data Converters by F.Maloberti), when he describe the 'passage' from first order to second order. He says: "Better performances and features are secured by using two integrators around the loop thus forming a second-order modulator as shown in the conceptual scheme of Fig. 6.11 (a). Since the use of two integrators in a feedback loop can
cause instability, it is necessary to dump one of the two integrators by using one of the two options represented by the dotted lines of Fig. 6.11 (a)." (Fig. 6.11 (a) is attached) Why two integrators in the loop can cause instability? I can't see why... Thank you very much!

Attachments

• Immahssgine.jpg
    Immahssgine.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 468
Engineering news on Phys.org
Let's say we took out the dotted lines. Let's also say that we are going to ignore any effect that the ADC/DAQ will have. In that case, we have a simple feedback system with the following relationships in the Laplace domain:

[tex] y(s) [/tex] is the Laplace transform of the output.

[tex] x(s) [/tex] is the Laplace transform of the input.

[tex] \frac{1}{s^2} [/tex] is the Laplace transform of double integration.

The equation of the feeback is system it this:

[tex] y(s) = \frac{1}{s^2} \left( x(s) - y(s) \right) [/tex]

Rearranging we will get:

[tex] y(s) = \frac{\frac{1}{s^2}}{1 + \frac{1}{s^2}} x(s) [/tex]

[tex] y(s) = \frac{1}{s^2 + 1} x(s) [/tex]

The polynomial of the denominator decides the stability (s^2 + 1). To be stable, the roots in the Laplace domain must have a negative real component. This system has roots 0-i,0+i. They are on the imaginary axis which means that just about any input will cause this system to oscillate.

Thanks for your answer!

The problem is that, if we analyze the system with the Laplace (or Z-transform), we can see that also in the first order modulator we have a 1/1+s in the transfer function, so also the first order must be instable. I think the instability should be analyzed without linear methods, because it is a non linear system. So, there is a book or a paper where I can find a discussion about the stability of this architecture of second order sigma modulator? [i.e, a first order modulator with two integrators in series instead of one]
Thank you!

the root of [tex]\frac{1}{1 + s}[/tex] is -1

It's stable.

Ooops, you're right..! :)
Thank you!

No problem, good luck with your studies.

Related to Second order Sigma Delta modulator

1. What is a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator?

A Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator is a type of analog-to-digital converter (ADC) that uses a feedback loop to convert an analog signal into a digital signal. It is a more advanced version of a First Order Sigma Delta Modulator and is commonly used in audio applications.

2. How does a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator work?

A Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator works by oversampling an analog signal at a very high frequency and then using a feedback loop to continuously compare the oversampled signal to the original analog signal. The difference between the two signals is converted into a digital signal, resulting in a high-resolution output.

3. What are the advantages of using a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator?

Some advantages of using a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator include high resolution, low quantization noise, and good stability. It also has a simple architecture and can be implemented with low-cost components.

4. What are the applications of a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator?

Second Order Sigma Delta Modulators are commonly used in audio applications, such as audio recording and playback devices, as well as in telecommunications and data communication systems. They are also used in instrumentation and control systems.

5. Are there any limitations to using a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator?

One limitation of a Second Order Sigma Delta Modulator is that it can only accurately convert signals within a certain bandwidth. It is also sensitive to noise and can suffer from stability issues if not properly designed. Additionally, it may require complex digital signal processing techniques to decode the digital output.