Learning Computers: Starting a Foundation

• Thread starter dementeddoughboy
  • Start date
In summary, the person is interested in computers and wants to learn more about them. They are interested in DOS commands and want to learn more about Unix-based systems. They are also interested in programming languages.
dementeddoughboy
Ok, well seeing as how I have my summer in front of me (with all of my AP summer work already done), I've decided to try and get interested in computers and what you can do with them. Like.. I can do unimpressive stuff like accessing DOS in my school's network when DOS is only allowed for people in JAVA classes and get into the network without having to actually sign in (I learned that when I forgot my password.. 15 minutes and a bunch of keys later I did it), but I want to know why and how these things work and other things you can do with them. I'm interested in DOS commands like tracing IP addresses and stuff (using tracert), but does anybody know of a good way to start a foundation for learning all of this, like a good book or something?

Computer science news on Phys.org
Don't use dos. If you really want to build a good fountation in computers use a unix based command prompt. It is more robust and flexible than dos.

If your into network security and such here are some resources that might come in handy:

http://www.insecure.org/tools.html
http://www.cert.org/
http://project.honeynet.org/ [Broken]

Honeynet is an interesting project. They guy that started the project came to my university and gave a lecture on it. The whole idea around the project to to let people hack your system, but not completely take it over. At the same time you keep track of tools and techniques the hackers use in order to learn how to secure your system. It some really interesting stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since you're interested by DOS, you're already on the right track. As dduardo said, you just need a nudge in a better direction.

Try Knoppix. Knoppix is a "live-CD" that let's you use a Linux ("UNIX-like") operating system on an existing PC without touching the hard drive and damaging your existing Windows installation. Here is a link to the website:

http://www.knoppix.net/

Download the latest ISO and burn a CD, pop it in and boot, and you've got Linux. There will be a powerful and flexible UNIX-like command prompt ("shell") available to you with lots of programs and networking utilities available to experiment with. You could also teach yourself some Perl or C programming. There's a whole lot of free and powerful stuff available to you -- if not on the CD itself, then easily downloadable later. Additionally, there is a full desktop environment waiting on the CD as well with a ton of neat GUI apps. It is the shell, however, that you will find to be eminently superior to DOS.

All in all, if you're eager to really learn a lot about computers, I would recommend taking the plunge and experimenting with Linux. Knoppix is a safe and easy way to try out Linux without messing up your computer. There's just a whole lot more to be had with Linux than with DOS.

Last edited:
Honeypots would make a very interesting project. But first pickup the book by Lance Spitzner, Honeypots: Tracking Hackers. The book gives some more in-depth explanation on honeypots.

Learn at least one programming language (C++ is what I have in mind, it's better if you master it). Read up on TCP/IP. Learn Unix/Linux, commands etc..Learn and play with intrusion detection systems. Read up on firewalls, vulnerabilities in wireless networks, packet sniffers. Visit various security forums..yada yada yada...

Counter-hack by Ed Skoudis would be a good starting point to read up on security, Security Warrior by Pekari and Chuvakin. There's also the Maximum Security books and the O' Reilly's...

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'll definitely check out the knoppix website when I get back home (I'm on vacation right now). When learning C++, do you suggest to take notes on all of the tags and commands, or just learn them through experience? I guess that's kind of more of an individual thing, but I wouldn't really know. I've never really dealt with the how of computers.

Programming isn't about the keywords, its more about the logic of going step by step in order to accomplish your goal. You can hand my any language with cryptic syntax, but the concept of programming is still the same.

So, it's an "if this, then that" type of a thing, straight logic? If so, then I should be pretty good. :D

(I'm trying to figure out what my post icon emoticon is supposed to be emoting)

But your tone in your words could tell people about that...
Who knows ? :tongue2:

(That is the most beautiful icon i found among many others)

What is the importance of learning computers?

Learning computers is important because it allows individuals to understand and utilize technology in daily life, increases job opportunities, and improves critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

What are the basic components of a computer?

The basic components of a computer include a central processing unit (CPU), memory, storage, input/output devices, and software.

How can one start learning computers?

One can start learning computers by taking a basic computer class, watching online tutorials, or practicing with a personal computer. It is also helpful to start with the basics, such as understanding computer terminology and how to navigate through a computer's operating system.

What programming languages should one learn?

The programming languages one should learn may vary depending on their goals and interests. However, some commonly used languages include Python, Java, C++, and HTML/CSS.

What are some resources for learning computers?

There are various resources for learning computers, such as online courses, books, YouTube tutorials, and coding bootcamps. It is also helpful to practice regularly and seek guidance from experienced individuals or mentors.