Second Order Homogeneous Recurrence Relation

Your Name]In summary, the proof for second order homogeneous recursive relations involves starting with the recurrence relation a_n = Aa_{n-1} + Ba_{n-2} and then introducing the sequence 1, t, t^2, ... to show that the recurrence relation can be satisfied by a sequence with a specific form. Working backwards and multiplying the quadratic by t^{n-2} demonstrates that there are an infinite number of sequences that can satisfy the recurrence relation, not just one. This approach may seem more complicated, but it fully demonstrates the concept of finding a sequence that satisfies the recurrence relation.
nobahar
Hello!

I was reading the proof (I think it constitutes a proof) for second order homogeneous recursive relations from the book Discrete Mathematics with Applications by S. Epp, and it seems, to me at least, to be excessive; which suggests that I don’t understand the proof.

It goes something like the following (the proof is here: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=...er homogeneous recurrence relations&f=false):

Firstly, there is the recurrence relation [itex]a_{n} = Aa_{n-1} + Ba_{n-2}[/itex], then the book states that “uppose that for some number t… the sequence 1, t^{1}, t^{2}, t^{3},…,t^{n},….
satisfies [[itex]a_{n} = Aa_{n-1} + Ba_{n-2}[/itex]].”

This means that [itex]t^{n} = At^{n-1} + Bt^{n-2}[/itex].

Using n = 2, you end up with the quadratic [itex]t^{2} – At – B = 0[/itex], from which you can derive the values for t (the roots of the quadratic).

The book then states: “Now work backward. Suppose t is any number that satisfies [the quadratic]. Does the sequence 1, t^{1}, t^{2}, t^{3},…,t^{n},…. satisfy [[itex]a_{n} = Aa_{n-1} + Ba_{n-2}[/itex]]?”

To answer this, Epp multiplies the quadratic by [itex]t^{n-2}[/itex].

Here’s my issue: I don’t understand the point of the first part. Why not just start with the quadratic and multiply by [itex]t^{n-2}[/itex]? This shows that the sequence [itex]1, t^{1}, t^{2}, t^{3},…,t^{n},….[/itex] satisfies [itex]a_{n} = Aa_{n-1} + Ba_{n-2}[/itex] (since [itex]t^{n} = At^{n-1} + Bt^{n-2}[/itex] is derived from the quadratic by multiplying by [itex]t^{n-2}[/itex]) when t is equal to the roots of the quadratic. Why suppose that there is a sequence 1, t, t2,… that satisfies the recurrence relation then work towards the quadratic formula? I don’t see what it demonstrates? Why not just start with the quadratic and show such a relation exists, and work from there?

Any help appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for bringing up your confusion with the proof for second order homogeneous recursive relations. I understand the importance of fully understanding mathematical proofs and I am happy to provide some clarification for you.

The reason for starting with the recurrence relation a_n = Aa_{n-1} + Ba_{n-2} and then introducing the sequence 1, t, t^2, ... is to show that the recurrence relation can be satisfied by a sequence with a specific form. In other words, by choosing t to be the roots of the quadratic t^2 - At - B = 0, we can construct a sequence that satisfies the recurrence relation.

By working backwards and multiplying the quadratic by t^{n-2}, we are essentially showing that the sequence 1, t, t^2, ... satisfies the recurrence relation for any value of t that satisfies the quadratic equation. This is important because it shows that there is not just one sequence that satisfies the recurrence relation, but rather an infinite number of sequences that can be constructed using the roots of the quadratic.

Starting with the quadratic equation and showing that it satisfies the recurrence relation may seem simpler, but it does not fully demonstrate the concept of finding a sequence that satisfies the recurrence relation. By introducing the sequence first, we are able to show the relationship between the recurrence relation and the quadratic equation in a more concrete manner.

I hope this explanation helps to clarify the proof for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask. As scientists, it is important for us to fully understand and question mathematical proofs in order to advance our knowledge and understanding. Keep up the good work in your studies!

Related to Second Order Homogeneous Recurrence Relation

What is a second order homogeneous recurrence relation?

A second order homogeneous recurrence relation is a mathematical equation that relates a sequence of numbers, where each term in the sequence is a linear combination of the previous two terms. It is called "homogeneous" because all terms have the same degree, and "second order" because it involves the previous two terms in the sequence.

How is a second order homogeneous recurrence relation different from a first order recurrence relation?

A first order recurrence relation only involves the previous term in the sequence, while a second order recurrence relation involves the previous two terms. This means that a second order recurrence relation is more complex and can generate a wider variety of sequences.

What is the general form of a second order homogeneous recurrence relation?

The general form of a second order homogeneous recurrence relation is: an = c1an-1 + c2an-2, where c1 and c2 are constants and n is the term number in the sequence. This form allows us to find any term in the sequence by using the previous two terms.

How can we solve a second order homogeneous recurrence relation?

To solve a second order homogeneous recurrence relation, we can use the characteristic equation, which is r2 - c1r - c2 = 0. We can then find the roots of this equation, which will help us determine the form of the solution. The solution will involve a combination of these roots and the initial conditions of the sequence.

What are some real-world applications of second order homogeneous recurrence relations?

Second order homogeneous recurrence relations are commonly used in computer science and engineering to model dynamic systems, such as population growth, chemical reactions, and economic trends. They can also be used in physics to describe the motion of objects under certain conditions. In finance, they can be used to calculate the future value of an investment over time.