Second order frequency response question

In summary, the conversation is about finding an equivalent parallel circuit given a circuit with a capacitor, inductor, and resistors. The first instinct was to create an RLC series circuit by combining the capacitor, inductor, and 40k resistance. From there, the impedance can be split into parallel capacitance and inductance. However, there is uncertainty about how to mathematically do this. Another suggestion is to find the Norton equivalent at the terminals of the inductor. This would result in a parallel RLC circuit with a current source instead of a voltage source.
Learnphysics

Homework Statement

http://img534.imageshack.us/img534/9687/rlc.png

Cannot do this question, the first part confuses me when it asks to find an equivalent Parallel circuit.

My first instinct was to try to add the capacitor and inductor and 40k Resistance together to create an RLC series circuit.

From this to add the 40k and the 10k resistances (because they are now in series)... Then we have a circuit with one resistance and one component causing impedance.

From here if we could SPLIT the impedance into both capacitance and inductance, we would have a parallel RLC.

how to mathamatically do the last part (the splitting of a given impedance into a parallel capacitance and inductance) I have no idea.

Or is there a much more simple/elegant way to go about doing this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Have you tried Thevenin equivalent?

Learnphysics said:

Homework Statement

Cannot do this question, the first part confuses me when it asks to find an equivalent Parallel circuit.

My first instinct was to try to add the capacitor and inductor and 40k Resistance together to create an RLC series circuit.

From this to add the 40k and the 10k resistances (because they are now in series)... Then we have a circuit with one resistance and one component causing impedance.

From here if we could SPLIT the impedance into both capacitance and inductance, we would have a parallel RLC.
how to mathamatically do the last part (the splitting of a given impedance into a parallel capacitance and inductance) I have no idea.

Or is there a much more simple/elegant way to go about doing this?

I'm not 100% sure about this but couldn't you simply find the Norton equivalent at the terminals of the inductor?

Then you would have a parallel RLC circuit with a current source supplying power as opposed to a voltage source.

Related to Second order frequency response question

1. What is second order frequency response?

Second order frequency response refers to the behavior of a system or circuit in response to a varying input frequency. It is typically represented by a graph showing the amplitude and phase of the output signal as a function of frequency.

2. How is second order frequency response different from first order frequency response?

Second order frequency response takes into account the effects of both resistance and capacitance or resistance and inductance on the output signal, while first order frequency response only considers the effects of one of these elements. This makes second order frequency response more accurate for analyzing complex systems.

3. What is the significance of the corner frequency in second order frequency response?

The corner frequency, also known as the resonant frequency, is the frequency at which the impedance of the circuit is equal to the resistance. It is a critical point in the frequency response graph and determines the peak amplitude and phase shift of the output signal.

4. How can second order frequency response be used in practical applications?

Second order frequency response is often used in designing and analyzing electronic filters, such as low-pass, high-pass, and band-pass filters. It can also be used in understanding the behavior of mechanical systems, such as oscillators and resonators.

5. What are some potential challenges when working with second order frequency response?

One challenge is accurately measuring the output signal at different frequencies, as small variations in the measurement can greatly affect the resulting frequency response graph. Another challenge is understanding and interpreting the complex mathematical equations and concepts involved in analyzing second order frequency response.