Second Law of Thermodynamics in Terms of Electromagnetic Principles?

In summary, Heaviside's Electromagnetic Theory (1895) suggests that the second law of thermodynamics can be established from electromagnetic principles, assisted by the law of averages. While the second law is typically considered an empirical law, it may be possible to derive it from other principles, such as statistical mechanics. However, this potential merger of electromagnetic theory and statistical physics still requires further consideration.
jeff.berhow
In Heaviside's Electromagnetic Theory (1895) he says that "The second law of thermodynamics itself needs to be established from electromagnetic principles, assisted by the law of averages..."

I attempted to Google whether or not anyone has derived the second law via electricity and magnetism, but couldn't find anything. I'm guessing this has been accomplished so can anyone point me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
You should look at the statistical mechanics interpretration of Entropy, and how that leads to the second law of Thermodynamics. Essentially, if you have charged particles, you can incorporate the electromagnetic terms into the Hamiltonian of the system, calculate the partition function, and work out and expression for the Entropy.

Likes 1 person
jeff.berhow said:
In Heaviside's Electromagnetic Theory (1895) he says that "The second law of thermodynamics itself needs to be established from electromagnetic principles, assisted by the law of averages..."

I attempted to Google whether or not anyone has derived the second law via electricity and magnetism, but couldn't find anything. I'm guessing this has been accomplished so can anyone point me in the right direction?

In thermodynamics, the second law is an empirical law and this allows us to use it to derive other, less obvious laws. In thermodynamics, it does not "need" to be established from other principles, electromagnetic or other.

But still it would be interesting to see some version of it to be derived from another law, preferably just as acceptable as a basic assumption. This could be of great help in bringing different ares of physics together and in providing new views on the old knowledge.

In statistical physics, people invented convincing arguments based on probability considerations that show the second law is valid with probability very close to 1 for systems of classical mechanics with many particles. These systems are not representative of electromagnetic theory though - they do not take into account Maxwell's equations or finite propagation of interaction.

I believe potential merger of electromagnetic theory with statistical physics still needs a lot of thinking. Heaviside's goal has not been reached yet.

Related to Second Law of Thermodynamics in Terms of Electromagnetic Principles?

1. What is the Second Law of Thermodynamics?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle in physics that states that the total entropy (or disorder) of a closed system will always increase over time. This means that energy will naturally disperse and become more evenly distributed, resulting in a decrease in usable energy.

2. How is the Second Law of Thermodynamics related to electromagnetic principles?

The Second Law of Thermodynamics can be explained and understood using electromagnetic principles. Specifically, the law can be derived from the fact that energy flows from high to low concentrations, and this flow can be understood in terms of electromagnetic fields and forces.

3. Can the Second Law of Thermodynamics be violated?

No, the Second Law of Thermodynamics is a fundamental principle and cannot be violated. It has been extensively tested and validated through various experiments and observations. Any apparent violations are due to incomplete understanding or incorrect application of the law.

4. How does the Second Law of Thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system. The Second Law of Thermodynamics states that the total entropy of a closed system will always increase, meaning that the system will become more disordered over time. This is because energy tends to spread out and become more evenly distributed, resulting in an increase in entropy.

5. Is the Second Law of Thermodynamics applicable to all systems?

Yes, the Second Law of Thermodynamics applies to all closed systems, regardless of their size or complexity. This includes everything from microscopic particles to large-scale systems, such as the entire universe. The law is a fundamental principle that governs the behavior of energy in all physical systems.