Second derivative with chain rule

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with finding second derivatives and chain rule, specifically for the equations F'(1) and F''(1). The source where the question came from is provided as a reference, but the speaker does not fully understand the solution. Another person provides a solution using a tree diagram and explains it in detail. They also suggest using u and v as variables instead of x and y. The final calculation is repeated and confirmed to be correct. The conversation ends with a question about a potential mistake in the provided solution.
Yankel
Hello all,

I have a problem with second derivatives and chain rule.

I am working on the question attached (sorry, my Latex editor wasn't working...)

I need to find F'(1) and F''(1). I managed to solve F'(1), but I can't figure out F''(1). In the second image attached, you can see the solution I saw in the source where the question came from, but I don't understand it.

View attachment 2003

View attachment 2004

I was using a tree diagram to solve F'(1), wih f going to x and y, and y going to x.
Can you help me understand this solution ?
Thank you very much.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    2.8 KB · Views: 64
  • Capture1.PNG
    Capture1.PNG
    3.5 KB · Views: 60
Physics news on Phys.org
I think it will be better to write this as F(x)= f(u, v) with u= x, v= x^3+ 2 so that we are not using "x" and "y" to mean different things.

Then dF/dx= f_u(du/dx}+ f_v(dv/dx)= f_u+ 3x^2f_v. Yes, dF/dx(1)= f_x(1,2)(1)+ f_y(1,2)(3)= 2(1)+ (-4)(3)= 2- 12= -10.

d^2F/dx^2= (d/dx)(f_u+ 3x^2f_v)= f_uu(du/dx)+f_uv(dvdx)+ 6xf_v+ 3x^2(f_uv(du/dx)+ f_vv(dv/dx)= f_uu(1)+ f_uv(3x^2)+ 6xf_v+ 3x^2(f_uv(1)+ f_vv(3x^2)

When x= 1, u= 1 and v= 3 so this is d^2F/dx^2= 7(1)+ (-6)(3)+ 6(1)(-4)+ 3(1^2)((-6)(1)+ 0(3)= 7- 18- 24- 18= 7- 60= -53.

-

First of all, thank you !

It took me some time to find out what you did, but I managed to create the corresponding tree diagram which puts logic into these things.

I repeated your development and final calculation and got the same result, and it even makes sense to me since I know where it came from.

Attached is the solution I had in hand. I guess they got it wrong then ?

View attachment 2007

Thanks again !

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    5.3 KB · Views: 54

Related to Second derivative with chain rule

1. What is the chain rule for finding the second derivative?

The chain rule for finding the second derivative is a mathematical rule used in calculus that helps us find the rate of change of a function with respect to its input. It is used when the function is composed of two or more functions, and it tells us how the rate of change of the outer function is affected by the rate of change of the inner function.

2. How do you apply the chain rule to find the second derivative?

To apply the chain rule to find the second derivative, we first find the first derivative of the function using the normal rules of differentiation. Then, we substitute the inner function with its derivative and multiply it by the derivative of the outer function. This gives us the second derivative of the original function.

3. Can the chain rule be used for any type of function?

Yes, the chain rule can be used for any type of function as long as it is composed of two or more functions. This includes polynomial, exponential, trigonometric, and logarithmic functions.

4. Why is the chain rule important in calculus?

The chain rule is important in calculus because it allows us to find the rate of change of complex functions that are composed of multiple functions. It is a fundamental tool in the study of derivatives and is used in many real-life applications, such as physics, engineering, and economics.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for using the chain rule?

Yes, there are some shortcuts or tricks that can make using the chain rule easier. For example, the "inside-out" method where you first rewrite the function in a way that the inner function is in the numerator and the outer function is in the denominator. Also, the "u-substitution" method where you assign a variable u to the inner function and then differentiate with respect to u.