Physics Definitions List

In summary, the conversation is about someone looking for a list of definitions for different physics concepts, such as Kinetic Energy vs. Velocity, vs. Momentum, vs. Speed or Work vs. Force. They mention using a 'Dictionary of Physics' as a reference and recommend looking for similar resources online, including glossaries and Wikipedia.
Lyuokdea
Does anybody have a list of all of the different physics definitions, such as Kinetic Energy vs. Velocity, vs. Momentum, vs. Speed or Work vs. Force etc. etc. I tend to get the definitions confused so if there is anybody who has a site or paper which points out the differences between the different sets clearly I would greatly appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
I use a 'Dictionary of Physics' for remembering things like this. A very handy small reference book that I use a lot.

It is at work, so I can't give you more details, but if you can get something similar you will find it very useful.
(I use it to try and work out what many of the posts on this forum are going on about! )

There are a lot of physics glossaries on the web:

http://cougar.slvhs.slv.k12.ca.us/~pboomer/physicstextbook/physglossary.html [Broken]

http://zebu.uoregon.edu/~js/glossary/glossary.html [Broken]

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/glossary.htm

Last edited:

1. What is Physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and forces that govern the behavior of the universe at both the smallest and largest scales.

2. What are some common physics terms and their definitions?

Some common physics terms include force, energy, mass, velocity, acceleration, and gravity. Force is a push or pull on an object, energy is the ability to do work, mass is the amount of matter in an object, velocity is the speed and direction of an object's motion, acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and gravity is the force that attracts objects to each other.

3. What is the difference between scalar and vector quantities in physics?

Scalar quantities are those that have only magnitude, such as time, mass, and temperature. Vector quantities have both magnitude and direction, such as velocity, force, and displacement. Scalar quantities can be added or subtracted algebraically, while vector quantities require vector addition.

4. What is the formula for calculating kinetic energy?

The formula for calculating kinetic energy is KE = 1/2 * m * v^2, where KE is kinetic energy, m is mass, and v is velocity. This formula shows that kinetic energy is directly proportional to both mass and velocity.

5. What is the difference between potential energy and kinetic energy?

Potential energy is the energy an object possesses due to its position or condition, while kinetic energy is the energy an object possesses due to its motion. Potential energy can be converted into kinetic energy and vice versa, but they are distinct forms of energy.