Quick Introduction to Tensor Analysis

In summary: Consider, for example, the vector displacement dr in an N-dimensional Euclidean space with a non-natural basis. This vector displacement would be represented byd\mathbf {r} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}}{\partial x^{i}} dx^{i} = dx^{i} \mathbf {e}_{i} where\mathbf {e}_{i} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}}{\partial x^{i}}and\mathbf {r} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}}{\partial x^{i}} dx^{i} = dx^{i} \mathbf {e
selfAdjoint
Staff Emeritus
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
Ruslan Sharipov has a nifty online textbook on this subject. It's written in interactive do-it-yourself style. Give it a glance, and see what you think.

Likes Brownian_motion
Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, Selfadjoint, I guess that now I comprehend better what tensors are. I printed the document out.
I comprhend what vectors and covectors are, and comprhend the rules of transformations between different bases. ALso, more or less have an idea about what linear operators and bilinear forms are. I have problems comprhending the rules of transformations of linear operators between different bases, I refer explicitly to page 20, that says that a linear operator [itex]F_{j}^{i}[/itex] transforms to another basis as

[itex]
\bar{F}_{j}^{i} = \sum_{p=1}^{3} \sum_{q=1}^{3}
{T_{p}^{i} S_{j}^{q} F_{q}^{p}}
[/itex]]

So, how do you get to the Ti p,Sq j and Fp q in the right side of the equality? I feel that I'm on the brim to completely understand tensor calculus, only have to work in a little details

When learning tensor analysis/differential geometry it should be noted that there are two quite different things which are called "components" of a vector. The difference has to do with the difference between a natural (aka coordinate) basis and a non-natural basis. Unfortunately I haven't created a web page for this yet but its not that difficult to describe.

Consider the vector displacement dr in an N-dimensional Euclidean space. Using the chain rule this can be expanded to read

[tex] d\mathbf {r} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}} {\partial x^{i}} dx^{i} = dx^{i} \mathbf {e}_{i} [/tex]

where

[tex] \mathbf {e}_{i} = \frac {\partial \mathbf {r}}{\partial x^{i}}[/tex]

These form a set of vectors in which all other vectors may be expanded (i.e. a basis). These basis vectors are called natural basis vectors aka coordinate basis vectors. These basis vectors are not always unit vectors.

Last edited:

1. What is tensor analysis?

Tensor analysis is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of tensors, which are objects that describe the relationships between vectors and scalars. It is used in various fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and computer science, to model and analyze complex systems and phenomena.

2. Why is tensor analysis important?

Tensor analysis is important because it provides a powerful mathematical framework for describing and understanding the behavior of physical systems. It allows scientists and engineers to analyze complex systems and make accurate predictions, which is crucial in fields such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and fluid dynamics.

3. How is tensor analysis different from vector analysis?

Tensor analysis is a generalization of vector analysis. While vector analysis deals with objects that have magnitude and direction, tensors can have multiple components and describe more complex relationships between vectors and scalars. Tensor analysis also allows for the representation of higher order relationships, such as the curvature of space-time in general relativity.

4. What are some practical applications of tensor analysis?

Tensor analysis has a wide range of practical applications in various fields. It is commonly used in physics to study the behavior of physical systems, in engineering to design and analyze structures, and in computer science to model and analyze data. Some specific applications include analyzing stress and strain in materials, modeling fluid flow, and developing machine learning algorithms.

5. Is knowledge of tensor analysis necessary for all scientists?

While tensor analysis is not necessary for all scientists, it is a useful tool for many branches of science and engineering. It is particularly important for those working in fields that involve the study of complex systems, such as physics, engineering, and computer science. However, scientists in other fields may also benefit from a basic understanding of tensor analysis for its applications in data analysis and machine learning.