Searches for Quark Gluon Plasma and Color Glass Condensate

In summary, a quark gluon plasma is a state of matter that occurs at extremely high temperatures and densities, where individual quarks and gluons are not confined within particles but instead move freely. This state of matter has been studied through experiments at particle accelerators such as the Large Hadron Collider, with the goal of understanding the early universe and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions. On the other hand, a color glass condensate is a state of matter that occurs at extremely high energies and describes the behavior of gluons in a nucleus. This state of matter has been studied through experiments at facilities such as the Relativistic Heavy Ion Collider, with the goal of understanding the behavior of matter in the nucleus and its role in high
humanino
Dear PFers,

could somebody provide an update on the searches for quark gluon plasma, the color glass condensate interpretation, and/or their conceptual basis ? I have found a few big documents, if somebody knows where to find the latest review it would be most welcome. I would like a preview of the several hundred pages I am embarking on :smile:

Thank you very much in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi!
I like to look at the papers presented at the conferences and then to look at the papers that they have published for more info.
Have you checked out http://www.pascos07.org/programme/
jal

The latest presentation is at Perimeter Institute
http://pirsa.org/
“Click” on “catch up” and you will see a list of their latest conference papers.
Read Bill Zajc’s paper first.

Quark Gluon Plasma at RHIC (and in QCD and String Theory)
Bill Zajc
Quark Gluon Plasma in QCD, at RHIC, and in String Theory
Speaker(s): Krishna Rajagopal
-----
I will be putting the links in my blog ... if it comes back online.
What papers are you reading?
jal

Thanks for the links, they were very intersting
jal said:
What papers are you reading?
working on "Hunting the QGP", BNL-73847-2005 (Results from the first 3 years at RHIC, formal report). I was wondering if there was some more recent "official" assessments.

You have probably found
http://www.int.washington.edu/talks/WorkShops/int_08_1/
From Strings to Things: String Theory Methods in QCD and Hadron Physics
March 24 - June 6, 2008
Seminars
------
As said, in the paper that you are reading,
"It is now generally thought that the early universe was initially in a QGP state until its energy density had decreased sufficiently, as a result of the expansion of the universe, that it could make the transition to ordinary (confined) matter."
-------
I find it strange that there is so little discussion, on this forum, of what can only be "cutting edge". The models that "THEY" come up with have direct input into the models being developed by beyond the standard model and cosmology.
jal

I know that there are all kinds of people that read this thread that know a lot more than me.

Could I get an input? ...

http://www.bnl.gov/bnlweb/pubaf/pr/docs/Hunting-the-QGP.pdf

p.272 (265)
The phase diagram of bulk thermally equilibrated strongly interacting matter should be described by QCD. At sufficiently high temperature one must expect hadrons to \melt", deconfining quarks and gluons. The exposure of new (color) degrees of freedom would then be manifested by a rapid increase in entropy density, hence in pressure, with increasing temperature, and by a consequent change in the equation of state (EOS). In the limit where the deconfined quarks and gluons are non-interacting, and the quarks are massless, the (Stefan-Boltzmann) pressure PSB of this partonic state, as a function of temperature T at zero chemical potential (i.e., zero net quark density), would be simply determined by the number of degrees of freedom [2]:
-----
Have we got evidence that there is mass in a quark-gluon plasma?
It appears that the models being tried leave mass out and that mass is a result of confinement.
------
jal

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Searches for Quark Gluon Plasma and Color Glass Condensate

1. What is quark gluon plasma?

Quark gluon plasma (QGP) is a state of matter that existed in the early universe, just microseconds after the Big Bang. It is a hot and dense soup of quarks and gluons, the fundamental particles that make up protons and neutrons.

2. How is QGP created in laboratory experiments?

QGP can be created in laboratory experiments by colliding heavy ions, such as gold or lead nuclei, at very high energies. These collisions create temperatures and densities similar to those found in the early universe, allowing scientists to study the properties of QGP.

3. What is color glass condensate?

Color glass condensate (CGC) is a theoretical state of matter that is believed to exist in high-energy collisions between particles, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider. It is a dense and strongly interacting state of gluons, which are the particles that mediate the strong nuclear force.

4. How are QGP and CGC related?

QGP and CGC are both states of matter that are formed in high-energy collisions. They are believed to be intimately connected, with QGP possibly evolving into CGC in the early stages of a collision. Studying the similarities and differences between QGP and CGC can provide important insights into the behavior of matter at extreme conditions.

5. What is the significance of studying QGP and CGC?

Studying QGP and CGC can help us understand the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of the universe in its early stages. It can also provide insights into the strong nuclear force, one of the four fundamental forces of nature, and lead to advancements in fields such as cosmology and particle physics.